• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sorcerer/Havok Mage a rules question

paragondragon

First Post
My question has to do with three books. One the Sorcerer class from the PHB. Two, the Havok Mage prestige class from the Miniatures Handbook. And three, the draconic heritage line of feats from the Races of the Dragon book. Bascially, can a Havok Mage cast a standard action spell using his Battlecast ability and use the swift action claw attack from the Draconic Claw feat after taking the full round action to do the Battlecast. I was thinking touch attack spells with the claw, such as shocking grasp, touch of idiocy, and vampiric touch just to name a few.

Abilities: BATTLECAST
a havoc mage gains the ability to cast spells of a certain level or lower while making a weapon attack. He may take a full-round action to attack and cast a spell. The spell must be an arcane spell he knows of 2nd level or lower with a casting time of 1 standard action or less. When using his battlecast ability, a havoc mage may cast spells with somatic components even if he has no free hands. Using battlecast does not provoke attacks of opportunity. etc etc. the rest is just about level advancement and how armor still has arcane spell failure chances.

DRACONIC CLAW FEAT

You gain a claw attack. You can make a natural attack with two claws, dealing damage based upon your size. In any round when you cast a spell with a casting time of 1 standard action, you can make a single claw attack at your full attack bonus as a swift action against an opponent you threaten.

So, I argue that you can because casting a spell is casting a spell no matter how you do it. Well, give me your two cents please.

pawsplay

Hero
Battle cast is a full round action, so you cannot battlecast with your free action. However, you can battlecast (casting a spell and making an attack) and still get your free claw attack.

Remove ads