Sqyre Offers Free Foundry Hosting

Lauguz

Explorer
Publisher
Apologies is this is against forum etiquette since its sort of promotional. My friends I are are all gamers and techies and we've create a new platform that offers free Foundry VTT hosting. Though very much still in beta, we have started to expand our offering and are now able to deliver on an idea we had in January -- a free way for Foundry GMs to host and play their games online.

You can read our blog entry on it here: Sqyre

Any questions, hit me up here or on our Discord (I'm @Lauguz).

Link: Sqyre

Juxtapozbliss

Explorer
Very interesting. I got self hosting to work, so I’m okay with that. But I’m paying through the nose for Discord Nitro Boosts for video and audio quality streaming. What are the video chat and message threads/groups are you offering? Does your service replace both hosting and Discord-like server functionality?

Lauguz

Explorer
Publisher
Very interesting. I got self hosting to work, so I’m okay with that. But I’m paying through the nose for Discord Nitro Boosts for video and audio quality streaming. What are the video chat and message threads/groups are you offering? Does your service replace both hosting and Discord-like server functionality?
Thanks for your interest! Currently we have basic audio and messaging through the game detail page, but it sounds like you're in the same boat with us with so many different tools to support our sessions. Our near-term roadmap includes replacing many of the tools like Discord and Slack with messaging channels and notifications, video chat, screen sharing, audio sharing, and more.

For people like you who are comfortable self-hosting we're building out a suite of game support tools like image and token generators (we already have a portrait generator tool you can check out for free), map generation including walls and lighting in Foundry, and tools to help make scheduling games easier.

Juxtapozbliss

Explorer
My self-hosting does work pretty well although any time my internet gets reset, i have to go back into the router settings and reset the Passthough permissions. It's a pain, but fortunately only happens occasionally. I have one player with fairly poor internet speed and it often lags for them but works well for everyone else. I run games for 2 teams. Does server hosting help at all to benefit players with lower speed? I have 1Gbps on my end, although it runs closer to 800MBps in actuality. At any rate, if it helped my players, i'd be open to considering switching back to a hosting service--ESPECIALLY if it helped me replace Discord. I'm paying WAY too much for the Nitro boosts to get 1080p video and 256k audio streaming. You have to purchase 7 boosts to get that bump, and it's a big ripoff. If you could combine the hosting with video chat and discussion threads with permissions like Discord has, I would be 100% onboard. I'm actively looking for a Discord replacement. I looked at Element but that seems very complicated and now I'm considering Guilded, which is used by a lot of video gamers, apparently. My Nitro subscription goes through December so I need to migrate before then.

Remove ads