Steampunk Musha Q&A

joela

First Post
Martial arts

rick_hershey said:
On another note, we are planning a lot of support for player's and GM's. We've actually spent the last several days discussing and nailing down ideas on what gamers want as far as both free support and purchased products. The good news is that I have several team members that have worked on organized play teams (even running some of the larger ones) and have a lot of great ideas on what works and what doesn't as far as rpg support.

Rick, I was reading an old review of SM over at rpg.net and it mentioned martial arts. Will SM d20 have it?

rick_hershey

First Post
WOW.
Will SM continue to be for both the IG and d20 OGL systems?

I talked to Brett at Precis Intermedia a bit about this, and although nothing is set in stone, we will most likely discuss doing an updated version of SM for IG 2nd edition. Will it have the same support as the OGL version. . . well, can't say for sure as of now, but we will do our best if an agreement is reached.

I have Legends of the Samurai and am considering purchasing Legends of Sorcery. How compatible are they to SM?

LotS is very compatible with SM, as we used a lot of OGC from those books. However, you will find a lot of fresh material and altered material that fits our setting, which is a lot more "fantasy" then LotS. But, It should work fine with SM.

Rick, I was reading an old review of SM over at rpg.net and it mentioned martial arts. Will SM d20 have it?

Yes, there are martial arts feats. In fact, there are racial feats, martial arts/combat feats, wushu feats, and I believe some general feats (off the top of my head, there are a lot of feats in this book) So, we have that pretty much covered.

joela

First Post
ordering

rick_hershey said:
Yes, there are martial arts feats. In fact, there are racial feats, martial arts/combat feats, wushu feats, and I believe some general feats (off the top of my head, there are a lot of feats in this book) So, we have that pretty much covered.

I'm salivating.

I go through several hobby stores to get my print copies. When will SM be available through distributors?

rick_hershey

First Post
I'm salivating.

I go through several hobby stores to get my print copies. When will SM be available through distributors?

Right now, I'm not sure. We will probably see both the Player's guide and GM's guide out as pdf before I have a strong date or idea on what we will decide on for the print. We might do PoD, we might go through a bigger company, I just don't know for sure at this point.

joela

First Post
pdf

rick_hershey said:
Right now, I'm not sure. We will probably see both the Player's guide and GM's guide out as pdf before I have a strong date or idea on what we will decide on for the print. We might do PoD, we might go through a bigger company, I just don't know for sure at this point.

thanks!

doghead

thotd
ogl - SM

Hey Rick,

Just had a look around the first preview. Is the ninjaninja and samuraisamurai thing deliberate or just a 'find and replace' whoops.

To what extent are the original core classes compatible with SM? The monk is an obvious take that people may want. But I can see people wanting to use other classes as well. Are the SM classes designed to be roughly equivalent to the core classes, or would some form of adaptation be necessary?

I would like to put in a vote for having some sort of setting introduction designed for players unfamiliar with the setting. A lot of players balk at playing in a setting they are not familiar with. A basic outline of the geography, history, races and classes would go a long way to overcoming this. Enough to give a player an idea of the kind of class and race they might play, and how the character would fit into the setting. The web site could serve this role, or perhaps a small .pdf download.

doghead
aka thotd

Vigilance

Explorer
Hey doghead, I think you spotted a typo of some sort, good catch, thanks!

On the subject of the core classes, I think you'd be better off just using the Steampunk Musha classes, at least in terms of ease of play. I *think* we covered all the bases for party roles.

On the subject of the monk, the Yamabushi class in the book is designed to fill the role of the monastic martial arts warrior.

But I dont think there'd be any major incompatibilities with introducing other core classes, just some small ones that would require a little work on the GM's part.

rick_hershey

First Post
Any typos found in the previews is not consistent with the final document. When I made the first preview I didn't have the final back from the editor and in all honesty, it was late and a bit sloppy. These are more like teaser previews then true previews, which I'll have when layout is wrapped up.

I would like to put in a vote for having some sort of setting introduction designed for players unfamiliar with the setting. A lot of players balk at playing in a setting they are not familiar with. A basic outline of the geography, history, races and classes would go a long way to overcoming this. Enough to give a player an idea of the kind of class and race they might play, and how the character would fit into the setting. The web site could serve this role, or perhaps a small .pdf download.

The intro to the book very much does this, and I will be making and setting up sort of an "Intro" to SM that covers some of this, which will be on the new website. Alana did extensive work in writing an intro to SM, and even "Asian" style games. You actually see sort of the same thing in the Game Master's Guide where it discusses "How to run an SM campaign" - because we think a lot of people are interested in these types of games, but know little on how to actually play or run them.

To what extent are the original core classes compatible with SM? The monk is an obvious take that people may want. But I can see people wanting to use other classes as well. Are the SM classes designed to be roughly equivalent to the core classes, or would some form of adaptation be necessary?

Chuck pretty much covered this. For the most part you could convert them to SM or just play them in the setting (as a gaijin/foreigner). Either way, I think our core-classes very much fill the typical party roles with a whole lot more flavor.

doghead

thotd
ogl - SM

I'm sure that the SM classes cover most of the bases, and are more consistent with the setting. I just asked because I am running a (sort-of) Pathfinder game, and was surprised at how much difference there was between the Pathfinder and the 3.5 builds.

RH said:
... and I will be making and setting up sort of an "Intro" to SM that covers some of this, which will be on the new website.

Cool. Not all potential players are going to be willing to buy a book. Especially for PbP games where life expectancy is a problem. So being able to point them to something that covers the basics is great - like Piazo's free Player's Guides for their RotR and CotCT adventure arcs.

doghead
aka thotd

Remove ads