Strength Wizard?

Pinwheel

First Post
Hey all, getting ready to roll up a new character and kind of wanted to go for a Wizard who utilizes strength. The obvious barrier is lack of Extra Attack. I was considering taking Bladeinsger to get access to EA at level 6. Otherwise, start as Fighter 1 for proficiency. Likely heavy armor, and get potentially pole-arm master. Play defensively, be able to hit people with OA's if they get up in my grill, otherwise pursue Wizardry shenanigans. Curious if anyone has thoughts for interesting Wizard builds or have tried anything similar?

CTurbo

Explorer
I've played a Str Wizard in the past and it's fun. I'll get around to it eventually in 5e too because I like playing avant garde characters. I'd probably go Goliath for 5e. Maybe make him a grappler wizard as a secondary role with him primarily being a regular wizard that just happens to be tough as nails. My guy will probably carry around a greataxe or over sized quarterstaff if Goliath. A Polearm Master Str Wizard would be great fun. I'd literally play him as a normal Wizard except hang around closer to melee and only attack if/when approached.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
The main issue is a lack of Extra Attack.
Once you've decided how you're going to deal with that (Booming Blade or Bladesinger, to name two options), you're set. Just pick up spells that don't require attack rolls or saving throws (mostly buffs, but also Magic Missile).

Also bear in mind you will be squishy, so priority spell slots for things like Mage Armour and Shield.

mellored

Legend
Mountain dwarf or forge cleric 1 / abjuration wizard + Booming blade + Warcaster to have scaling damage, keep enemies in your face, and a nasty OA. Green flame blade for some variety.

Take shield/absorb elements spell so your hard to hurt, and it will keep recharging your ward, making you plenty tanky (while the spell last). Alarm also works as a ritual, letting you recharge with downtime while also protecting from ambushes.

Also there are plenty of good spells that don't require Int. Magic missile, cloud of daggers, fire shield, greater invisibility (they attack you with disadvantage, or get hit with a nasty OA), polymorph (friendly's only, but still useful), and Wall of fire/force/stone/ice don't require Int. So you can still cast them just fine.

Also, half damage spells like fireball can still wipe out a room for of kobolds even they all save. Though it's not for regular use.

Remove ads