Level Up (A5E) Strongholds and Crafting:Engineering

Mach5RR

Explorer
OK, there is a disparity between the Stronghold Rules and the Crafting:Engineering rules.
The Stronghold rules have almost all of the rules/examples in the Equipment chapter, with the exception of how -long- it takes you to build the Stronghold.
The Crafting: Engineering rules in the Adventuring chapter actually covers the time it takes to make buildings, and sets the difficulty of the check you make weekly to continue your project.
The disparity lies in the fact that Strongholds are rated in Grades, with each Grade covering an amount of Square Feet. The Crafting rules are based off of Size - and not just the size of the structure, but the equivalent of Creature Size, meaning that buildings only come in 4 sizes (Large, Huge, Colossal, and Monumental), but I'm not sure where Colossal and Monumental line up for szie, as they aren't defined in a footprint.

We are house-ruling some mods to the Crafting:Engineering to bring it more in compliance with the Stronghold rules, but we may need to work in some extra rules for Rural areas and things that rely off of acreage.

Mach5RR

Explorer
Oh, I get that. But every other size gives you a comparison in square feet. The Tier system is broken down by square feet, monster sizes tells you how much space they occupy. When I look at objects, a medium object is about the same size as me. A large object is bigger (a car), a huge object is bigger (a car carrier semi). I know these scales aren't perfect, as that a lot of different sized objects you can fit between Medium and Monumental, but that is only four categories. It just would have been nice to have that broken down in a rough area that it covered so I could then compare it to the Tier system.
Truly, I don't even want the size categories defined. I just mentioned that it lacked the square foot representation that monster size categories have. What I -would- like, possibly addressed as errata, is to redefine the downtime engineering of buildings using the terminology of the Stronghold construction system.
As it is, we have two seperate rule systems that address doing parts of the same thing differently.

Remove ads