• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Suggestion

Eccles

Ragged idiot in a trilby.
This struck me the other day...

Party deaths. We don't really want them (and being a group of mates who grew up together, probably would do everything we can to avoid them).

Putting aside the 'moving heaven and earth to get people rez'd' thing, I was thinking about loot.

The suggestion is this:

In the event of death, each surviving PC is bequeathed one item by the dying player.

This gives us a benefit (so we don't lose out as a party and get outclassed by the "new guy"), but doesn't mean that the body is stripped bare and left in the mud... State burial with all the rest of their kit is perfectly fine...

Eccles

...And immediately there's a thread on the main boards discussing the same thing.

Suggestions there include the party keeps any 'charged' items - potions, wands, scrolls, etc, or that the character is buried in their primary armour and with weapons they would use, but backpack & contents get passed on (inless there's a will)...

Then someone posted that they were playing in the Age of Worms campaign, said something about a giant octopus, and then announced that the Campaign death toll is 26. (Eeep!)

Darmanicus

I'm Ray...of Enfeeblement
Not a bad idea there Nik.

I'd definitely agree that any dead character gets buried in their armour with weapon and shield.

Being able to "loot" charged items or one shots I think is fair enough. How much attachment can you have to a potion of water breathing?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I worry about passing on inventory. The new character will get a full allotment of equipment, so the stuff from the dead character is then "extra". That means a party death profits the party.

Eccles

However, using our last game as an example, new characters were coming in with *so* much more stuff than the existing ones that I was considering retiring Vincus and coming back as his cousin Vinkus.

The game appears to expect a level of buddy-looting to keep parity with the new guys (unless there's a quite fabulous quantity of loot we've missed so far...)

Remove ads