• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Summoner First Worlder Archtype

cgraph

First Post
First Worlder - Pathfinder_OGC

I'm wondering-- am I missing some advantage of the summon nature's ally spells, because it seems like the Eidolon is getting nerfed hard for no real return to the summoner. Or putting it differently, woudln't just using a normal summoner and "reskinning' the eidolon as something that looks more nature based be more optimal?

Systole

First Post
Paizo has published a lot of trap archetypes. This is a pretty terrible one -- possibly even worse than some of the crap they came up with for barbarians. Summon Nature's Ally spells are universally worse than Summon Monster spells, so you're wrong about there being no return for your eidolon getting nerfed. The return for your eidolon getting nerfed is ... your SLA getting nerfed.

paradox42

First Post
Well changing the eidolon back is easy enough, but how to get a druidic flavor for the summoner?
Pull in a few Druid spells, would be the most obvious way. Stuff that's mostly Conjuration-oriented, like Fire Seeds- though there aren't a lot of Druid Conjuration spells, so perhaps extend it to non-Conjuration stuff that's obviously Druidish such as Entangle and Goodberry. Maybe grant a couple of minor Druid abilities that make some sense, like Woodland Stride, instead (or in addition).

Alternately, you could improve the Archetype by going a different way: really play up the Fey aspect of it by making the Summoner himself/herself more Fey-like. Again, I think changing the spell list is the best place to do this; add some Enchantments to the list and you've pretty much got it- I'm thinking the Charm suite, Confusion, and maybe some Illusions as well like Rainbow Pattern. Also grant the Summoner an extra bonus on Will saves against such effects, and/or against the Confused condition since Fey are closely associated with (causing mortal) insanity in folklore.

Summoner is a pretty powerful class in the standard form, so even a nerfed one can be pretty strong. If you want to make the Archetype "viable," you shouldn't have to do major changes- just a few minor tweaks. Additions to the spell list are an especially good way to pull this off because the Summoner has limited spell knowledge- sure, there are always Wands and Scrolls, but face it, there's also Use Magic Device for those in the standard Summoner's case (and it's even a class skill). So adding a few spells to the list isn't a large power boost, but you can really change the flavor with some carefully-chosen additions.

GlassEye

Adventurer
First Worlder does add a few fey to the summon list but they don't strike me as being exceptional. Don't get me wrong, those fey summons are nice but not when compared to the cuts the eidolon takes. I would rather have the ability to apply the fey creature template to the creatures summoned instead.

radionausea

Villager
I think paizo realised how much First Worlder sucked and so made:

Wild Caller

Summoning is changed to SNA, Eidolon can't take a few specific evolutions. In exchange you get an additional 5 evolution points over the course of 20 levels. As its half-elf only thats really 10 extra evolution points which is a big deal.

Remove ads