Surtyr and Valhyr gods

Velmont

First Post
We have start to talk about it in the main discussion thread, but I thought to make it a bit more official.

We are looking for a pantheon for the people of Surtyr and Valhyr. A Norse like pantheon. Some have suggested they are worshiping all aspect of nature and have many god.

I find the idea fine, but it would be more appropriate for Primal class. When it come to Divine Class, it is better to have god rather than aspect of nature. Those culture could have a lot of Primal class people among there rank.

For sake of simplicity, I would rather go like the other culture, take the basic gods and rename them. They would rever the twelves god, but they would not just be as much as in the center of there religion as the are more Primal than Divine.

Don Incognito

First Post
As the (somewhat) creater of Valhyr, I'd say that the viking folk of the north view the gods very much as betrayers. After all, the angels are messengers of the gods, and the angels lead the Einherjar.

I'll cook something up either today or tomorrow in terms of a pantheon.

ryryguy

First Post
Interesting contrast here between Valhyr and Surtyr... as Don notes the people in Valhyr would likely view the gods as betrayers. Folk in Surtyr know about what happened in their ancestral homeland, so the gods would likely have taken a popularity hit there, too. However, now in Surtyr they are under threat from Far Realm sources, which is traditionally something that primal types have defended against. So followers of the gods there might see an opportunity to gain back a little ground - "the druids haven't been able to stop this, now it's our turn!"

It wouldn't be as clear cut as all that in all cases, and the primal types are still fighting back. But still, could be an interesting theme!

Religion and the "Seaborn" on the refugee ships could also be interesting. They may not really remember what they are fleeing from, so they might not have the same bad feelings about the gods... but then again, they might not really remember the gods, either! They might have made up some of their own... aquatic representatives of Poseidon would probably also have done some evangelizing. An invoker of one of their old gods born into that situation would be a cool background. "No really, there's this god Thor we all used to worship, and... no, really, Thor is real! You don't believe me? Stand back!" ***BOOOM*** "Ok, that was a polite cough from Thor, now do you believe?"

Velmont

First Post
What do you think of that:

Valhyr: The gods have betrayed there people. Gods are seen as the enemy of the Valhyr people, who has turn mainly on the forces of nature. Anyone following the old gods are heretics and could be hunt to death or at best exiled to the sea.

Seaborn: The faith of there homeland is mostly unknown to them. They still have faith into the gods, but also fear them as they have sent them to the sea, exiling them from there homeland.The most revered gods are the one who can control the weather and the sea, as they bring safety to there people.

Surtyr: News of Valhyr have come to the colony. The people have a mixed feeling about the gods. Some think the gods have turn there back to the people of there homeland. Others think the people of Valhyr have done great sin to the gods and are now paying for there crime. A crime that the people of Surtyr have not done as they haven't been touch by the gods' wrath. Gods are still revered, out of respect or fear to be victim of there wrath, but many prefer to follow the aspects of nature, and on some rare occasion, the gods of the other nations.

Here the list of god I suggest (twisted existing name)

Gods:
Dhor [Joven]: God of thunder and storms, father of Baldar, Edin, Ter, brother of Loka and Ren. He is one of the central god of the seaborn, as his fury can bring death to them. In Surtyr, he is less important than his son Edin.

Loka [Juna]: God of trickery. Twin sister of Dhor, she has tried to take his place in the pantheon without fighting her brother, which is seen as not honorable.

Egir [Netari]: God of sea. One of the main god of the seaborn. For people of Surtyr, they always make a prayer to him before putting a boat to the sea.

Hund [Lauto]: God of death and reborn. He is the one who take the soul and carry them to there next journey.

Ren [Lauto]: Ren was one aspect of Hund for Valhyr and Surtyr people, death of sailors. For the seaborn, Ren have taken the place of Hund in there pantheon.

Dorj [Peresefa]: Goddess of earth and its fertility.

Fregh [Vena]: Goddess of love and protector of weddings.

Baldar [Apoli]: God of light and beauty.

Edin [Maros]: God of war. As a warfare people, the son of Dhor have taken the central place of the pantheon of Surtyr.

Ulli [Dayna]: Goddess of archer, warden of animals, she is mainly revered before a hunt.

Ter [Mireva]: God of war and justice, daughter of Dhor. Many people of Surtyr thinks the events happening in Valhyr are the result of Ter action.

Henir [Vulkar]: Gods of creation. He has created all, from Dhor hammer to people of Valhyr.

Skrir [Merkari]: Messenger of the gods

Last edited:

KenHood

First Post
If you stick with an animistic faith, you don't have to attempt to force analogues between Norse and Greek pantheons, and you gain all the benefits of storm, death, beauty, or whatever worship. It fits a culture that's supposed to be 'primitive' and has a mistrust of deities.

Velmont

First Post
The deal here is they have revered some god and the forces of nature, but the god betray the people of Valhyr. If you look at the description of the god, I never talk about how Valhyr see them, as it is pretty clear they have turned there back from the gods who has send there angel to fight them.

The people of Surtyr haven't been plague by the god's wrath, so they will have some followers, even if the gods have lost some popularity after they have attacked the homeland. The seaborn might not have understood well what was happening before they left there homeland, so they could also still pray the gods.

The cross reference is to kept the idea from other culture. I'm not sure if we want that for every culture, but I think it could still fit them well to have the same pantheon.

Velmont

First Post
I think with the coming of Divine power, we should set that question, because there will be domain feat. How will we handle that for a follower if there is no god? How do we determine which domain he has access and which he doesn't?

Remove ads