Terror Check and Holy Aura

varagon

First Post
I couldn't find any spot in the rulebook for what attribute you use to roll against a Terror Check.

I assume it's Fidelis.

Holy Aura- Is it on all the time? Does a character need to activate it like other miracles?

Also, once it's activated, does it protect against x (where x equals the number of ranks) time attacks during one combat?
Ranks= 4
Activates four times, and protects you four times in a scene for a total of 16 protection rolls.

Or

Holy Aura activates only x amount of times.
Ranks=4
Activates four times and protects you once each time, for a total of 4.

kipling

First Post
Sorry, don't know the answer to the Terror Check question. When I played, I used Fidelis as well--though I wrestled with the idea of not using any attribute at all, or that the attribute changed depending on the type of terror it was. (Certain terrors would use Mentus, others would use Spiritus, and obviously demonic ones would use Fidelis--but that got too complicated for a one-off game, so I used Fidelis for all of them.)

Last edited:

kipling

First Post
My copy says that Holy Aura activates automatically and, once activated, functions for the remainder of the scene. Unless you deliberately turn it off; then restarting the Aura would be a new use of the Miracle.

You can use it, in total, Rank number of times a day, I think; maximum is seven.

Last edited:

Cassandra

First Post
Sorry for the extreme delay in answering these questions; we will strive to do better in the future. We're calling in an authority to handle this.

Terror Checks

When rolling a Terror Check, the default is to roll it against Fidelis. However, there many situations where using another attribute instead may be appropriate. A GM may decide that a possible terror situation is more of a mental threat [roll against Mentus], such as a gloomy, isolated location where one seems to start hearing things. Another situation may present a very immediate physical danger [roll against Corpus], resulting in a strong urge to simply flee.

Another way to adjudicate a Terror Check is to allow a player to roll against the character's strongest attribute, if he or she can come up with a reasonable explanation for doing so. Thus a Justiciar with high Corpus might not fear a zombie, trusting in miraculous strength to rip the foul creatures limb from limb. [Roll against Corpus.] However, a ghost - which perhaps cannot even be physically touched - would strike fear in the heart. [Roll against Fidelis as the default.]

Likewise, a Justiciar with a strong mind may argue that extensive knowledge has prepared him or her to deal with the concept of demons present in the material world [roll on Mentus] but would be unprepared to deal with the physical remains of a demon's victim, especially once decay has set it. [Roll on Fidelis as the default.]

It is certainly reasonable to decide that all Terror Checks will be made against Fidelis, to simplify play. In that case, though, the GM will need to consider the characters' chances of success and be sure that the Task Difficulties are appropriate.

Information about Terror Checks can be found on page 11 and pages 31-32 of Against the Darkness, second printing (pages 33-34, first printing).

kipling

First Post
Thank you for replying, and thank you for letting me know that there was a second printing (I had the first printing).

I appreciate the information. On reading the material about Terror Checks in the second printing, I see that it still doesn't mention that any appropriate attribute can be used. It is implied by stating that various attributes can be lost for a failed Terror Check, but it isn't stated outright.

Make a note for it if there is a third printing, and I look forward to reading the second printing more closely to find any differences.

Thanks again.

John

Remove ads