• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The 10-foot pole, antithesis of what adventuring should be?

mmadsen

First Post
Thurbane said:
If I'm calculating correctly, 20F = -7C. Dude, that is coooold. Not Siberia type cold, but cold enough to mess the average person up pretty badly after an hours or so, unless they are wearing appropriate clothes.
Or they're physically active. Freezing weather is far from unbearable with even light clothing -- if you're not wet and there's no wind. It's often downright pleasant after a light snowfall, for instance. A "warmer" not-quite-freezing rain with a cold wind, on the other hand, can make you miserable almost instantly.

Ralts Bloodthorne

First Post
mmadsen said:
In fact, anything over -30 degrees Celsius (-22 degrees Fahrenheit) is considered "little danger" according to the US Army Survival Manual -- assuming no wind, and thus no windchill.

fig15-1.gif

Nice try, but please notice that one part...

"Properly clothed"

That's a big difference. Mickey Mouse boots, facial mask, parka, parka liner, field jacket, field jacket liner.

We're talking T-shirt and blue jeans.

Tetsubo

First Post
How about using two 5' steel tubes rather than iron bars? The weight should come down quite a bit... and within the game we have access to mithril, even better than steel...

papakee

First Post
JRR does wear shorts and tshirts in freezing weather, I've saw it...I wouldn't do it, but I have saw it. The guy has as much hair on his legs and arms as a mangy black bear, so he can stand weather that I (and many of you) could not.

Besides, homeless folk survive without those winter parka's all the time. :eek:

I guess it is a matter of constitution and being used to the weather to a certain extent. The only alternative I can think of that would better simulate a person's resistance to cold would be a sliding scale (aka a chart) based upon constitution. The CON checks for lower CON folk would start at a sooner time than higher CON folk. Since, 3.5 doesn't subscribe to that sort of philosophy, I'm suspecting the CON check is just for continuity in the ruleset. Also, the first Cold band being goes from 40' F to 0' F. Even I could survive 40'F temps without cold weather gear. So, I have to agree that 40' seems a little high to start with the CON checks. Dropping the start of the cold band down 10 degrees to start at freezing makes more sense.

Oh yeah, if you have a ten foot pole, you can probe the snow ahead so you don't fall through a frozen creek or something. :)

DestroyYouAlot

First Post
From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fahrenheit (take it as you will):

"Fahrenheit supporters claim its previous popularity was due to Fahrenheit's user-friendliness. The unit of measure, being only 5/9 the size of the Celsius degree, permits more precise communication of measurements without resorting to fractional degrees. Also, the ambient air temperature in most inhabited regions of the world tends not to go far beyond the range of 0 °F to 100 °F: therefore, the Fahrenheit scale would reflect the perceived ambient temperatures, following 10-degree bands that emerge in the Fahrenheit system:"

* 10s Deep Frost.
* 20s Light Frost.
* 30s Cold. Close to freezing for environmental water.
* 40s Cold. Heavy clothing needed.
* 50s Very cool. Moderate Clothing required.
* 60s Cool. Light clothing.
* 70s Tepid. Summer clothing.
* 80s Warm. Minimal clothing.
* 90s Hot.
* 100s Very hot. Take precautions against overheating.

Remove ads