D&D 5E The Advanced Multiclass Guide

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
A comment on a sort of multiclass - the "Gish", aka the "fighter-mage".

Interestingly, in 5e there are ways to do this solo class (EK, hexblade, college of sword - and well, paladin (effectively is a gish, although thematically isn't)). That being said, multi classing can also enhance a gish.

Usually, a gish will use his magic to enhance his fighting. After all, you can use spells to fight better, but it's rather hard to use your sword to be a better caster! And through clever design, a gish can be a very effective warrior indeed!

BUT

I would caution about being overly focused on this. If *all* your magic is focused on making yourself a better warrior... then that's all you are, a warrior! You "feel" different than a fighter, but you can't do anything more than a fighter could!

So be sure to take a few utility spells along the way, or at the very least spells with multiple uses. Get a familiar. An illusion or two. A mobility spell (they are good inside combat too...). Some "people" spell (suggestion!!!). etc etc. You'll never be the swiss army knife than the wizard is, but be sure you're more than just a single blade!

Horwath

Legend
3.5e solved some multiclassing problem(or enhanced them) with multiclass feats.

Similar can be done here.

I.E.

Feat: martial ambusher, requires fighter lvl 3+, rogue lvl 3+
while your fighter and rogue levels are within 1 level difference of each other fighter and rogue levels stack for gaining fighter extra attack features and rogue sneak attack damage.

If that would be too powerful, you could add +1 str,dex or con to feat and say that other class only adds 1/2 their level to other class mechanics.

main point with this feats would be that you must keep classes on 1by1 basis thus, preventing any 1 or 2 level cheesy dips.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Is anyone working on better multiclassing rules? Should someone? I liked 3e rules on this and how you can keep certain character level things and class level things. There was some problems with front loading certain powers and cherry-picking some classes. Seems a lot of what some talk about in 5e as well.

In terms of balance, 5e multiclassing is a lot better than 3.x multiclassing. And you mention two of the balance points - less front-loading for cherry picking, and most things (with some exceptions like cantrips or total spell slots) triggering off class level.

So I'm not sure what a "better" multiclassing rule would look like to you because your vision of moving more things to character level would be be contrary to the improvements in the system you pointed out.

Can you describe your goals more concretely, and if they will weaken balance protections tall about what you'd want to see to strengthen them instead?

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
3.5e solved some multiclassing problem(or enhanced them) with multiclass feats.

Similar can be done here.

I.E.

Feat: martial ambusher, requires fighter lvl 3+, rogue lvl 3+
while your fighter and rogue levels are within 1 level difference of each other fighter and rogue levels stack for gaining fighter extra attack features and rogue sneak attack damage.

If that would be too powerful, you could add +1 str,dex or con to feat and say that other class only adds 1/2 their level to other class mechanics.

main point with this feats would be that you must keep classes on 1by1 basis thus, preventing any 1 or 2 level cheesy dips.

I don't think allowing multiple classes to stack in terms of the power of the features they get from individual classes is a good way to preserve balance between multi-classed and single-classed characters.

And to say the exact opposite thing, one of the control points in 5e on multiclassing is delaying ASIs/feats - requiring a feat to make some thing to work is a heavy price to pay in terms of advancing any other parts of your character development. Well,

I guess it's not the exact opposite thing, it's pointing out that it will make overly focused characters that are as good/better then single-classed characters at what the single-classed characters focus is, and hurt the characters in ways where they are already having problems staying competitive.

aco175

Legend
Can you describe your goals more concretely, and if they will weaken balance protections tall about what you'd want to see to strengthen them instead?

Unfortunately I cannot. None of my players in the 4-5 campaigns now have tried to multiclass. In 3e days a lot of them did to some extent. Maybe it is because we do not play with feats s well and some of the options go with them. There seems to be some reason that nobody at my table tries to multicalss.

I do not know if the classes right now are good all the way through and seeing the next power only a few more levels away keeps them from taking something else. It could be something like 4th level stat boost is tied to class and not total level. Maybe same with spells, but it has not happened.

It could be as simple as the paths are good enough for my table it they want some more flavor.

guachi

Hero
I'll give a thumbs up to this as a good primer for players who are interested in multiclassing. It can help ensure the player doesn't inadvertently create a PC far weaker than intended.

What are you hoping to accomplish and is multiclassing really the best avenue to accomplish that?

Remove ads