The Answer is not (always) on your Character Sheet

aramis erak

Legend
That may be a distinction to you, but conversations here and elsewhere don't suggest it is for most people.
It's certainly been a factor many of my players complained about - 2d20 system is fast, once people learn it, but this is the 2nd campaign for some of my players and still they're having conceptual issues with the resolution. All of them have played dice pools, all of them have played count-success dice pools, three of them have played STA before, but 5 of the 7 have conceptual issues out of the gate.

They all have liked FFG L5R and FFG Star Wars... which is considerably slower, but fits their collection of phronemas better than 2d20.

On the other hand, while the liked the core mechanic of Dragonbane, we're playing STA due to 2×(TPK-1) ... the math of combat trumped the simplicity of the mechanics. (In plainer terms, it's too effing deadly.) Whereas I noticed that, vs BRP, it's damages are up a size and armor down a bit, so much deadlier for those not in full plate with helm.

Wolfpack48

Adventurer
It's certainly been a factor many of my players complained about - 2d20 system is fast, once people learn it, but this is the 2nd campaign for some of my players and still they're having conceptual issues with the resolution. All of them have played dice pools, all of them have played count-success dice pools, three of them have played STA before, but 5 of the 7 have conceptual issues out of the gate.

They all have liked FFG L5R and FFG Star Wars... which is considerably slower, but fits their collection of phronemas better than 2d20.

On the other hand, while the liked the core mechanic of Dragonbane, we're playing STA due to 2×(TPK-1) ... the math of combat trumped the simplicity of the mechanics. (In plainer terms, it's too effing deadly.) Whereas I noticed that, vs BRP, it's damages are up a size and armor down a bit, so much deadlier for those not in full plate with helm.
When we switched to RQ from D&D, we knew we were getting into more complex rolling (SRs, Dodges, Parries, Hit Locations), but our table as a whole embraced it for what they felt better reflected combat. After some time, we got to the point where combats were resolved in about the same amount of time as a D&D combat, though there was a little ramp up time.

Remove ads