• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Last Prophecy of Borial

The_Universe

First Post
As the enchanted talisman of Borial robbed Mariel of consciousness, her limbs went slack, her features paled, and something inhuman took control of her body. Jerked as if pulled by puppet strings held by some heavenly performer, Mariel's body rose quickly skyward, hovering awkwardly in the hazy moon light. Her eyes snapped open, white and pupilless; her skin paled until it was almost icy blue. Her lips moved, parroting the inhuman but audible tones that echoed around you. Nevertheless, you are coldly certain that the voice, whatever it was, came from somewhere other than your newly risen companion.

The Thing in Mariel said, "Hidden in flesh, the new bearer of the Winter Crown shall not find me. Not, at least, until I perform one last task for the fallen Winter Queen."

The Thing in Mariel shuddered, then; a queerly vulnerable act for something so powerful. Though aware that whatever the Thing feels could have no true mortal analogue, you concluded that the animating spirit, whatever it is, is afraid.

She/it continued, "Fortune's Lady may yet favor the bold, for six foretold have seen her Fall. First, a warning: though snow falls first in Winter, children, all things are drawn to earth in their time. Mountain, Sea and Fire will be the last broken in this vengeance of a betrayed god who spawned monsters before mortals, but all will fall to the traitorous wolf and his dark forgotten bride.

"Her children stir in the deepening darkness, and soon they will awake. Jorman, the serpent, will stir in the abyss, breaking chains forged of flame, sea, and stone. Hymric, the Titan, shall wake beneath the mountain, and the earth will shake as he emerges from the icy prison that now holds him. Her first children shall follow him once more to the breech.

"She will come, the unstoppable Traveler reborn, with Deceit finally at her side. From their union shall spring terrors uncounted: Pestilence shall bring Famine; Famine shall bring War; War shall bring Death, her most loyal servant. As it began, it shall end. What she created, she shall destroy.

"Each who will fall will be warned, and each time the warning shall be ignored. Seek shelter where it is offered, for we immortals will care for thee no longer.

"Yet, Fortune, in her last smile, smiles upon thee. To each I offer a glimpse of fate, if you wish it..."

The_Universe

First Post
small nico said:

Any questions or comments or requests for clarification? I might be able to fill in things that your character knows (that you, as a person, probably don't) if you let me know what you're wondering about. :)

NuclearWookiee

First Post
One quick question, but I'll post more later when I have time. In Greek myth, Apollo is associated with the Sun, Poseidon the sea, Zeus the sky, etc. Are there some similar associations in the mythologies of your game world? I am referring specifically to the following quote.

The_Universe said:
Mountain, Sea and Fire will be the last broken in this vengeance of a betrayed god who spawned monsters before mortals, but all will fall to the traitorous wolf and his dark forgotten bride.

Can I draw any conclusions regarding which deities might be represented by Mountain, Sea and Fire (fire does seem obvious). If so, it would obviously seem likely that these will be the last to fall, and that the patron deity of my order is in fact aiding the enemy.

The_Universe

First Post
NuclearWookiee said:
One quick question, but I'll post more later when I have time. In Greek myth, Apollo is associated with the Sun, Poseidon the sea, Zeus the sky, etc. Are there some similar associations in the mythologies of your game world? I am referring specifically to the following quote.

Can I draw any conclusions regarding which deities might be represented by Mountain, Sea and Fire (fire does seem obvious). If so, it would obviously seem likely that these will be the last to fall, and that the patron deity of my order is in fact aiding the enemy.
The parallels are easy to draw. Hephaerial is the Mountain Lord, Posedrial the Ocean Lord, and Belial the Fire Lord.

Obviously, it's up to you to determine if the prophecy suggests that these three gods will be the last to fall, but even without the prophecy, that eventuality would seem likely in a war in heaven--Belial, Posedrial, and Hephaerial are generally considered to be the 3 most powerful gods in the pantheon (and they each hold the allegience of an entire race).

Remove ads