• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The most epicest artifact?

Jack Simth

First Post
I prefer "most epicest" - which I assume to be a deliberate error - to the misuse of "unique". No, folks, something is not more unique, really unique, less unique, most unique: it is either unique or it isn't. ;)
Eh, to an extent it can be. Technically, all physical objects bigger than about a single molecule are unique in some manner, as it's pretty much impossible to make two objects truly identical - and thus, basically everything is unique.

However, most people don't care about the specific angle of a single hydrogen atom in their mass manufactured water bottle, and won't consider the water bottle unique.

So one could make a measure of uniqueness based on just how many aspects there are to the object that are not found in other objects, and how significant those aspects are to the observer.

grodog

Hero
I always thought having the Invulnerable Coat of Arnd would be useful. I do not think it had anything major in the way of drawbacks and gave you good over protection.

That artifact originally appeared in the Greyhawk campaign adventure "Dark Druids"---written and DM'd by Rob Kuntz. Skip Williams' PC recovered the artifact, at least for a short time, IIRC....

Jack Simth

First Post
Except that's not the meaning of the word "unique". Find another word.
Ah, but if Unique is so binary, then everything big enough to see with the naked eye is unique.

Plus, of course, there's the little issue that language is fluid, and even Merriam-Webster has integrated partial uniqueness into their definitions:
Merriam-Webster said:
3 : unusual <a very unique ball-point pen> <we were fairly unique, the sixty of us, in that there wasn't one good mixer in the bunch — J. D. Salinger>

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
Ah, but if Unique is so binary, then everything big enough to see with the naked eye is unique.

Plus, of course, there's the little issue that language is fluid, and even Merriam-Webster has integrated partial uniqueness into their definitions:

Unique is binary. Always has been and always will be.

Merriam-Webster is not authoritative; it's an American dictionary not English. OED FTW.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads