• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Succubus Bride

Based on the amount of attention this rather well done modules generated it seems that the comic book format was not a good idea after all.

Succubus Bride is a mixture of the location and an event based adventure and surprisingly it succeeds to pull of the event part reasonably well. It deals with a political intrigue surrounding the marriage between two formerly conflicted royal houses. The marriage, that nobody really wants but everybody needs, is being jeopardized by the kidnapping. Finding out who is responsible and recovering the bride forms the main part of the adventure.

The adventure shines in that it presents a number of very interesting NPC's for the players to interact with. The amount of interaction and the "mystery" aspect of the adventure associated with it can be scaled by the DM to suit the party, but enough building blocks have been provided for a very involved political adventure in addition to the rather well executed series of combat oriented forays.

In terms of the format there is a remarkable amount of material for the price ($7 CND). The font is very small so I believe that the amount of text is not bellow an average 32 page adventure. Not a lot of space has been taken by the monster or NPC statistics, as designers apparently realize that the information on the interests and motivation of an NPC are more important then his exact stats. Also, mercifully, there is no half-baked prestige class taking a page of the book as it is getting to be common in d20 adventures. interior art is almost nonexistent (more text that way) but sadly substandard when there.

My small but nagging objection is that title, title page and names of a several locations/items in the adventure (Sinner's island, Ring of dark Delights...) do seem to imply some sort of sexual connotation to the adventure. That in itself would not bother me except for the fact that in the (very a-sexual) context of the adventure such naming/illustration seems somewhat gratuitous. (Now if I would ever want anyone to write d20 adventure with sexual connotation that would likely be this fellows, but still...)

All in all it is an excellent and sadly overlooked adventure. If I could I would go for 4.5 mark but given the choice the 4 seems more appropriate. I am however looking forward to more from Guidhouse Games

The war draws to a close. A year of bloody fighting and countless deaths has resolved nothing. The monster nation of Maldekore still occupies the mithral mines rightfully claimed by the Ralstein dwarves. Ulria, who has given refuge to the displaced dwarves, can no longer endure the burden of the war. Now the diplomats must settle what blood and steel could not.

The conflict can end with a simple ceremony a wedding between the ruling families of the warring nations. Ulria's prince accepts his fate until the demonic origins of the wizard Maldekore are revealed, casting doubts on the nature of his alluring sister. Can the adventurers retrieve a ring that will protect the young prince from his betrothed, and preserve the required wedding, or will the peace shatter into senseless slaughter?

The Succubus Bride is an adventure for the d20 system that threatens the player characters with mortal danger and moral quandaries. For characters 7th-8th level.

Remove ads