• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The word of a god...

Greenfield

Adventurer
We had some fun in our game last week, and it seemed worth sharing.

In our game world, the gods are pretty actively involved in... something... that keeps them from answering the phone. Spells like Divination and Commune that call upon the gods for information stopped working years ago. No spell or ritual has been able to get a response, or even a clue about what's going on.

Because the PCs have been very actively involved in trying to deal with the ... something ..., they've had a very few close encounters of the divine kind.

They have, for the most part, kept these occasions to themselves. I don't think they were deliberately keeping mum, or trying to maintain any kind of security or anything. It just didn't occur to them to tell anyone what they'd learned, or from whom.

Well, the cat is out of the bag. They attended a feast with the Celtic deity Vandos, who is the Master of the Wild Hunt. Simply put, he's the Celtic version of the Grim Reaper, the deity tasked with collecting the souls of the dead.

At this feast they asked what he knew of the Roman Empire. He showed them a vision of armies at war. He explained that, being a Celtic power, his only contact had been when the Romans tried to invade. Lots of killing and death when that happened, so it was kind of his busy season.

When pressed for *current* news, he showed a different vision. Again, it was of an invading army, Persian this time, and again he told that that since killing and death were more or less his domain, that was the event most visible to him.

Now they're talking to important people, trying to convince them that there's a Persian army coming. When asked how they know, they casually said that the god told them.

Priests were called, rituals were performed, Detect Lie was cast, as was Zone of Truth. Even word from a barbarian deity from the far end of the Empire was news, and far too important to ignore.

So they were questioned. And the number of divine contacts they've had began to come out.

They've spoken, in person, with Apollo/Helios, the Roman/Greek sun god and patron of oracles. They've spoken with Vandos, the Celtic collector of souls. They've spoken with Ma'at, the Egyptian goddess of Truth and Justice, and they've spoken with Thoth, (Ma'at's husband), the scribe of the Egyptian pantheon and their god of Knowledge. They've also spoken with the gate keepers of "Death's Door" for a dozen pantheons, and with an Avatar of Ra, the Egyptian sun god (and again, their collector of the souls of the dead.)

One of them recently returned from Olympus, where he conferred with Zeus/Jupiter and his wife, and several other deities as well.

They have a remarkably clear picture of what the real problem is, whose behind it, and what needs to be done about it.

And they passed every available test regarding the truthfulness of what they were saying.

The high priests almost collapsed in shock, and military commanders began making plans, plans which run counter to what the provincial governors want.

Some of what they reported was kind of like playing "telephone", in that what they said was sort of kinda like what they had learned, but not quite on target. Still, because it was what they remembered and believed, it passed all the tests.

What upset the priests the most was that the gods who gave the most useful and complete information were all foreign deities. Zeus and Hera were having a domestic quarrel, and Apollo gave almost nothing beyond personal advice to the PCs.

The Egyptians gave the most complete overview, and the Celts gave the most immediately useful.

What will rile the priests, when they take time to think about it, is that gods didn't choose to deliver this vital information to their own priesthood, but to outlanders, savages and the "uninitiated" (i.e. not of the priesthood).

What has the military commanders at a boiling point, aside from the incompetence of the politicians, is that the PCs have apparently had a lot of this vital information for *years*, and it never occurred to them to tell anyone. It just sort of slipped their minds.

And then the party slipped away on their mission, without telling anyone where they were going, or when they'd be back.

Since that time, concentrated foodstuffs have been rolling into the city by the ton, courtesy of the PCs who've been raiding supply caches laid out for the Persian army and shipping them back to Thebes, but it's always a teamster or freight hauler bringing it in, and never the people that the priests and military are desperate to talk to, to get more information from.

I mean, if they had all of that casually available, what might they come up with if they actually took time to think about it?

Some will start to think about torture and/or sacrifice. :)

I'm going to have fun with this. These almost casual revelations will turn our game world upside down.

Last edited:

Empirate

First Post
You know what that sounds like to me? Your PCs are your world's equivalent of the Prophets.

Seriously. What are the political and ecclesiastical powers-that-be to think when a small group of uninitiated foreigners turns up out of nowhere, gives them a bunch of divine knowledge, and then slips out of town at night? Those guys must have been divine agents of some kind, right? No mere humans (elves, gnomes....) would be able to do that! That might even take the sting out of the priests' frustration that they weren't told, but some foreigners were: it's the will of the gods to let their faithful know exactly now, in exactly this strange manner, and it's probably a test of faith or whatever...

So when your PCs come back, they might find themselves held more in awe than in suspicion. Maybe they'll even be worshipped! Maybe people will plead with them to go out into the world and find out more about the gods' will! Anyway, they're in for interesting times.

If I lived in Southern Cal, I'd be tempted to drop in (if you'd have me). Alas, I live in Germany, and my own gaming group wouldn't take kindly to me leaving them for another!

radja

First Post
Sounds like a schism in the making. Could be fun to split the church because of the PCs (see also Empirate's excellent post)

Greenfield

Adventurer
Regarding the "global story": Well, it's just kind of happening. We share the DM's duties around the table, with each of us feeding on what others have laid out before us. It don't think any one of us can take credit.

Regarding "jealous": No reason to be. We're not doing anything that you can't do in your own game(s). The rotating DM duty helps feed creativity in the story, as several creative minds are contributing, one after another. At the same time, though, the quality of DMing is uneven at best. We each have our strengths and weaknesses.

Me, for example: I'm a story teller but not that good at plotting or running a balanced combat. I tend to have fewer encounters, and they tend to be soft pedaled a bit. The guy we call Tinker, who runs the Barbarian/Wizard is better at planning battles, but tends to give away too much information before we get there. The guy who plays our Ranger/Druid is an excellent tactician, and runs hard fought encounters, but tends to be light when it comes to laying out clues for us to follow. He also tends to set up literally unsolvable challenges, situations where you just have to ride them through because the enemy has planned for every contingency. The Blind Bard who runs the Half Dragon Fighter, is imaginative at creating monsters and other combat foes, but being blind he's not too good at handling battlefield layout or maneuvers.

There are others, and each has their strong suits. We've had some stinkers and we've had some stars, and you'll probably have the same if you choose round-robin style.

Regarding a religious schism: Not too likely. The D&D world isn't one where religion is driven by holy fervor and/or pure faith. The fact that gods can and do grant miraculous powers to their chosen followers makes that image a bad fit. Further, while every Cleric out there knows that their deity is the best, they also have to deal with the reality that there are other deities out there who are just as real and just as valid. The whole "One true god" mentality is unlikely to develop or gain any real following. There's too much objectively verifiable evidence of other deity's existence.

Besides, they didn't vanish away mysteriously. They simply went about their business like anyone else might. ... if "anyone else" didn't have the fate of this end of the Empire in their hands, that is. :)

To give a general overview: A Persian army is headed for Greece. Neptune/Poseidon is battling Nudimmud (Assyrian/Proto-Persian sea deity), which is keeping the seas impassable for the Persian fleet.

The governor of Thebes (seat of the Roman governor of the province) has decided to keep news of the invasion from the people, and quietly exit the city. Okay, as quietly as a wealthy man can move his entire household out of town, along with all of the other "important people" and as much of the accumulated wealth of the city as they can haul. The governor's theory is that if they leave nothing worth looting, the Persians will leave the city alone and go home. (Did I mention that the Governor is a fool?)

The PCs find this being planned and need a way to stop it. It will leave the city with no food and no defenders, and the Persians aren't here for a quick raid. They're planning to invade and take over.

One PC captures a Persian agent sabotaging the crops (Dispel Magic on any field that's had Plant Growth cast on it, to help weaken the region.) He brings the guy in and, almost casually, mentions the invasion and the divine information he has.

The Sargent of the guard hears this and decides to awaken the Captain of the guard, who after hearing it decides to awaken the city's Commander of the guard. Priests are called, tests are made, and they decide that the Ranger/Druid has indeed heard directly from a deity. They already know of the Governor's plan to "retire to his estates for the season" and realize that they're being used.

Arrangements are made among the soldiers: The Commander of the guard, citing the presence of Persian agents, declares a military emergency and seals the city. Anyone entering or attempting to leave will be checked. Nobody leaves without clearance. He has the tacit approval of the head of several of the major houses' personal guard that they won't challenge the order, which leaves the Governor unable to leave. He'll order his men to force their way through but the commanders of his personal guard will refuse to draw weapons against the City guard.

And mean while, the PCs have gone off to find something very important: Just how far out is the Persian Army. But while they're doing that, they're out of town and out of touch.

nijineko

Explorer
huh, i happen to be in the so-cal area. somewhat south of camp pendleton. might be interesting to stop by for a visit and listen in sometime, should our schedules ever happen to match?

Greenfield

Adventurer
Well, I'm in LA County, which is an hour+ north of Pendelton, up the 405 freeway.

We play on Sundays, starting at noon. We won't be playing this weekend (I'm out of town). We're there the next two weekends, but then down on the 7th and 14th of October (I'm out of town again).

PM me if you want driving directions. You're always welcome.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads