• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Themed Summoning......

Darmanicus

I'm Ray...of Enfeeblement
http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?p=3089394#post3089394

Please check that thread out Russ.

You've mentioned in the past that you'd really like to see themes for casters and I wouldn't mind trying one for mine with regards to summons to start with.

Now I haven't got any summons spells yet so we have plenty of time and opportunity to discuss some ideas. You never know this could result in a one of those PDF's you've suggested I should maybe give a try?

I've been checking UA, (which I have and you can borrow at any time), and it has some interesting summons ideas which I'd like to run by you.

I like the idea that you summon the same creature/s each time you cast the spell and we have used this idea before; it's a total flavour thing and has no impact as far as I can see on the game.

I'd like a list based on undead creatures if at all possible and I'd like to keep it quite short. This will restrict my options a lot, however I think it'll be fun being able to summon ancestors and such to my aid.

Just to reiterate that last point, at the moment I can summon any number of different creatures to combat various situations however if, (as one of the suggestions in UA points out), you restrict my access to say just the one creature to start with and add more as time goes by as I get more powerful, you have more control over various encounters because you know exactly what I can call and I get a load of fun being able to call upon "Great Uncle Bob", who died 2 decades ago fighting the Koblods of doom etc. etc.

It suggests that upon getting any given summons spell for the 1st time I can summon just one creature. There are then several options listed regarding being able to obtain new ones however I suggests you take a look at those.

I'll have a go at doing some sample creatures in a bit and would appreciate any input from all of you.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
There are already undead summoning type spells to take in place of the Monster Summoning spells.

The "getting the same one each time" aspect is just fluff - no effect on game mechanics. So if you want to describe it like that, it makes no odds to me.

Remove ads