• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Thieves guild

grasshopper

First Post
Hi! New to the forums.
I have a new campaign I am starting. The main villain(s) are a shadow thief’s guild trying to get a foothold in the city.
However, one of the players (who is unaware of who the big-bad is) is a rouge and is asking about joining a thieves guild. I know there are legitimate thieves guilds and as I understand it the STG is considered a predominately evil group, correct? Would it be correct for me to place an existing thieves guild and an “evil” STG or do they tend to be synonymous?

FalcWP

Explorer
Well, the way I see it, you've really got two options if you want to let him join a guild.

1) There is another, rival guild. It gives the PC a natural reason to oppose your big bads, and a good source of resources, aid, and information from a sympathetic party.

2) The PC is part of the Shadow Thieves' Guild, but he, for whatever reason, comes to work against them. He might not realize how evil they are, or he might have a line he won't cross that the Guild asks him to. He gains a lot of insight on the guild, and some really hardcore enemies when the Shadow Thieves' Guild is the big opponent.

Both work, depending on your specific campaign.

greywulf

First Post
Well met, grasshopper. Welcome to the forums (fora?).

I'd suggest having another guild, or even (if you're feeling hinky) have it be a legitimate group of bouny hunters who are reformed rogues working under paladin tutelage. I have a group like that in my campaign; they do the dirty jobs for the temple while at the same time working off their pennance. And rogue/paladins are the bestest core-class combo, evah! :D

That would make a great foil for your Shadow Thiefs, methinks.

Last edited:

grasshopper

First Post
Thank you for your insight! I now have some good ideas on how to go forward.
Our first game is Friday, so I have some work to do before then.
thanks again!

Remove ads