"This post was generated by a news article which your device or browser is not displaying directly."

CapnZapp

Legend
What's this about?

First I thought it was something peculiar to Tapatalk. Imagine my surprise this stays the same on the computer too, both in Firefox and Chrome.

Take this thread as the perfect example:
http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?447736-Waterborne-Adventures-New-from-Unearthed-Arcana

This time, a poster (Forgedfury) made it before Morrus.

The first post is infinitely more useful than the third post:
1) It contains text you can actually read in the post itself, letting you immediately learn what the thread is about
2) It contains the link directly. (Sometimes you even get the direct pdf download link, which is even better, since normally you'd want to skip all the ad copy and get to the actual content)

Please consider scrapping the current system where you're supposed to click a link simply to get a link. They look like spam. If these posts weren't made by the site itself, they would most definitely be banned as such.

Thank you

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
"This post was generated by a news article which your device or browser is no...

I can't scrap vbulletin, sorry!

It's a little buggy when I try to promote threads to news articles. There's very little I have the power to do about it, unfortunately.

The only other option is to not promote threads to news items, but that would result in two threads on the same subject.

It frustrates me, too.

CapnZapp

Legend
Perhaps you could start a new thread in the forum and then do the news link thingy to it?

That way you'd end up with something much like my example thread:

First something useful for us forum readers, then the news "connection".

If I understand your reply correctly, that is?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Perhaps you could start a new thread in the forum and then do the news link thingy to it?

I don't really know what that means. But I can't link a news item to an already existing thread; the software simply doesn't work like that. You can only promote a thread to article status, or start a new one attached to the article. The former works, but can be a little buggy.

CapnZapp

Legend
A shame.

Take the current news about the Drizzt adventure.

The thread you closed was much more informative in its first post.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
A shame.

Take the current news about the Drizzt adventure.

The thread you closed was much more informative in its first post.

I get it. You don't like how news items interact with threads. You've made it abundantly clear more than once.

I used the promotion method before, and you told me you didn't like how it worked. So this time I used the old-school method and simply created a new article. Apparently you don't like that, either! I'm sorry, but I'm out of options now. There's nothing else I can do. :)

And, I'm sorry, but the one I closed was not more informative. I can't put 11 words and a URL on my front page.

Last edited:

Remove ads