• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Threads "marked as read" that I haven't read

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
I just logged in this morning and noticed that quite a few threads are marked as read even though I haven't read them.

Typically, after viewing the threads I'm interested in (eg, at end of my last visit for the day), I'll click the "Mark forums read" button up top on the Community page, so that my unread threads accumulate until next time I visit. In principle, then, when I return to ENWorld New Posts page the next day, every thread with any new activity should be boldface indicating "unread".

Instead, when I first logon I'm now seeing some threads appear as if I've interacted with them (unbolded), when I have not. But I can't figure out any pattern to those threads. For example, I can see the most recent posts, so I know it's not to do with those posters blocking me. And the timestamps on them look to be in the past relative to me, so they're not weird "posts from the future" like the current News Digest post.

Any idea what might be going on?

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
Also to note that I don't see any obvious unknown activity on/from my account. If there something suspicious, it's not leaving traces I can detect myself.

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
After another "mark forums read" refresh a few minutes ago, I continue to see the behavior. In the attached screenshot
the thread "Worst Published Adventure Starts" is not bold (ie, is marked as read), even though I haven't read that thread since I posted this thread in meta, which is right below it (ie, just before it).

Probably this is a @darjr thing.

Screenshot (51).png

darjr

I crit!
After another "mark forums read" refresh a few minutes ago, I continue to see the behavior. In the attached screenshot
the thread "Worst Published Adventure Starts" is not bold (ie, is marked as read), even though I haven't read that thread since I posted this thread in meta, which is right below it (ie, just before it).

Probably this is a @darjr thing.

View attachment 364467
Can you pm me the exact url for that page?

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
Update on this:

This problem seems to have cleared up: no more random threads are getting wrongly unflagged as unread. The effect occurred frequently up until this afternoon. It had been limited to specific threads, but those are now showing up in bold, as expected.

One thing I immediately notice now is that the old "News Digest" post for last week that got marked with today's timestamp (you can see it in my screenshot upthread) is now past, and no longer stuck at the top of the New Posts page. No idea if/how that could cause the issue, but it's a peculiar correlation.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads