• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Time Travel: My Players Stay Out!

Gwaihir

Explorer
I'm looking for feedback on this idea:

I'm toying with the party finding themselves in a roughly world war II technology level version of my campaign world for several sessions.

Has anyone done anything similar? Did you use D20 modern for game mechanics or just tweak D&D? Do you think magic would be affected? Lost or minimized because technology took over perhaps?

Thanks.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
The question should not be "do you think magic would be affected?" It is more "As a DM, do you want magic to be affected?"

Consider, if magic fails to work, anyone who uses magic as their basic source of personal power will be quite thoroughly hosed and ineffectual so long as they are in this world. It is not fun wandering around unable to do anything useful for the party.

Rabelais

First Post
The epic level wizard would be limited to "Eeek! Look Out!" "Oh Gawds... It's coming this way!"

I would allow magic, but consider the implications of accurate firearms.

I'll tell ya though... Nazi's make great faceless enemies. /theme to Raiders of the Lost Ark

Gwaihir

Explorer
Dark Elves- modified drow are the bad guys of this campaign. They have effectively been a "phantom menace" The party has recently learned that in one of the possible futures, the Dark Elves are dominant. I have an idea to present them as a Nazified power in the "future" that the party may visit.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads