To Sonny

MistyThorin

First Post
A brown-haired woman with a tearstained face posts a neatly written page on the corkboard, then quietly leaves the tavern.

Sonny,

I know this letter won't change your mind, but I'm better at writing things than speaking them, so I have to say this anyway. If you weren't the caring person I know you are, being unable to help Octavion wouldn't have hurt you so badly.

I'm just sorry my words hurt you all the more. I know you don't believe me, but it's you I love and not some ideal. I should have realized that as badly as you felt just then, you would think I loved a dream and not the reality.

But through my own stupidity, I've lost any chance at being able to reach your heart. Or maybe I never had a chance all along, but I'll never know now. I'm going away for a while. I don't dare stay around here. Rajak's bound to find out that you've walked away from me, and he'll be after me night and day once he knows that. I'm going to leave the school in Saliana's hands. She and Jake should be able to manage things all right.

And speaking of things, yours are still there, waiting for you to collect them. Don't worry about running into me there, because I'm leaving town now.

I plan on staying in contact with Jake and Saliana, and I hope someday to hear from them that you've found happiness. No one deserves it more than you do.

Love always,
Melanie

Remove ads