• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Torchwood, episode 5: Small Worlds (Spoilers)

JEL

First Post
dravot said:
What did Estelle do that warranted her death by the faeries?

Just uncovering their existence?

That seemed weak to me.

A warning to stay away is the best theory I've heard. Likewise for Gwen's apartment. Or it could be just to show how viscious they are.

dravot

First Post
JEL said:
A warning to stay away is the best theory I've heard. Likewise for Gwen's apartment. Or it could be just to show how vicious they are.

Overall, a decent episode, I thought, but that one point bugged me.

Falkus

Explorer
Guess I'll have to do so again, but now I'm curious- his "con man" days. I wonder if that's what he was doing as a Time Agent, or if that was supposed to be during the 2 missing years?

Neither, actually. He became a time traveling con artist after he quit being a Time Agent, which he did because two years of his memory were erased. That's what he was doing when he was first introduced in Dr Who, and that's how he met the Doctor and Rose.

sniffles

First Post
Cthulhudrew said:
Estelle also mentions that he got back in touch with her "a couple of years ago", which would put his appearance on Earth post-Parting of the Ways prior to Rose. So why didn't he attempt to get in touch with the Doctor during the intervening period (as he's so eager to do, seemingly). Even if he was worried about altering the past by contacting the Doctor prior to their first meeting, he could have tried to get in touch with Rose's mom/Mickey/Rose herself sometime during what would be last season?
We may yet see him get in touch with Jackie or Mickey. Just because the episodes are taking place post-'Doomsday' doesn't mean we can't see a flashback prior to that. Or perhaps for some reason Jack decided not to follow up on seeking out Rose's family and he'll do it now. Maybe he doesn't know about Rose's family; we don't know how much time they spent talking about themselves. Or possibly he didn't know precisely what period of history she was from. I'll admit that last is unlikely, but it's possible.

delericho

Legend
I was wondering if perhaps he hadn't made contact out of concerns about causing a time paradox. Don't want to run into Rose before she met the Doctor, after all. And, once she has started travelling with the Doctor, there's a fairly short window of opportunity available in which to make contact, and for most of that they're not on Earth.

Felon

First Post
Maybe it's just that I fast-forwarded through a lot of the episode, but I don't understand the big tragedy about the girl being taken. She was miserable where she was, her stepdad was a creep, and with the fairies she had a special life ahead of her. I guess it's that standard-issue nonsequitor often seen in popular fiction, with people trying to be "rescued" from a fantastic existence, so they can return to a normal life--where they can go on to work some crappy job until they're old enough to collect social security. Remember the old D&D cartoon?

Last edited:

glass

(he, him)
Falkus said:
Here's a new theory: Since the fairies aren't bound by linear time, perhaps the reason they spared Jack in 1909 was because he let them take Jasmine in the present.
I assumed it was because he was an officer, the faeries didn't consider him part of the same 'group' as the enlisted men. But your idea is better.

glass.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads