• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tormal's Actions before the Festival

Tormal

First Post
Upon return to fort Greerson and after initial debriefing - if any - Tormal confronts Li. He asks for permission to leave the cabin area for a short while for personal reasons but will return within a week or two. Assuming Li accepts and there is no problem with Lord Tannerson (If need be Tormal will ask Lord Tannerson as well) Tormal ventures off. The only thing you notice him take is his quarterstaff, a dagger and a backpack with a small amount of food. All he wears is his standard cut off sleeves shirt, with new dark green pants and his sash. If anyone cares to ask what he is doing before he leaves he simply answers -

"I am only venturing a ways from here but I am unsure of the exact location. It is for my own gain and the benefit to all of you, If I can better myself I can better defend you, and anyone else in the line of danger or under the dark grasp of evil. This probably won't be the first time I have to meditate. Meditations cleanse the soul and perfect the body. A few nights ago I had a Kimoni..." He stops and noting the confusion on some of your faces continues to explain, " It's a dream, a personal vision. I've read about them - they only happen to those who are really in tune with their Ki. They’re not really omens, per say, but rather messages from your soul. I can't explain it any better.... The vision is interesting, however, because I don't know exactly what it means. I had only a short glimpse..." He nods his head " I feel like something is calling to me, demanding of me. And such is the reason I must leave. I wish to find out what it means, if anything. I must have a deeper and more focused meditation. I will leave a trail of stone markings so that if there is trouble, in any case, you may find me. I will return soon."

He quickly interjects, " It will be a challenge here in the forest. I have to be careful not to put others or myself in danger. Perhaps I will stay as close as I can to the cabin without being in grave danger. It will be a simple test of my abilities and my will to succeed. I have a feeling I will be tested, in some way... But I cannot be sure of that either."

With that he departs.

A little over a week later, just about 9 days, Tormal returns to the cabin. He looks a bit drained and dirty but otherwise ok. When he first sees everyone he is pretty excited. He claims he has, in his opinion, perfected his combat technique.

“I haven’t been able to, for the time we have been together, master my quarterstaff art form. I don’t think anyone can really understand yet, but there is a certain way of fighting that I was trained in. I left the Academy early so I wasn’t able to refine my capabilities – until now. I am still unable to ascertain what the Kimoni I had last week was all about. On the other hand, I do have some theories.

Anyway, I set up a small camp a little ways from here where I could properly meditate. The first day I had seemed to be too distracted by the forest and all it has to offer. I was also a bit worried about what may have been, how would you say it… “Hunting me?” After some time I was able to calm myself.” He gets a bit more serious and begins to explain what had happened in more detail. He stops for a second to get a drink, then continues.

"I was standing in a vast clearing surrounded by thick forests in all directions. Tall grasses fill the gap where there were no trees and directly in front of me there was a faceless figure. He stood the as tall as I, and wore long grey robes. He carried a quarterstaff much like mine. He silently offered me a diamond larger then I have ever seen. Behind him there laid a white wolf spattered in blood. Around it’s neck there was a pendant that radiated a blinding light… but I could not see its symbol. When the figure offered the diamond a cold feeling came over me…. It wasn’t evil per se'… but almost hollow. I rejected the diamond but the figure swiftly attacked me. We fought for a long time; I even watched the sun and moon pass over the sky above. We were tireless! I thought I had won the combat but I tripped. The figure towered above me and drew a dagger ready to end my life. I’m not to sure what happened but everything went white as I cried out for help. I awoke from the meditation in broad day light with sunlight beating down on my face and beads of sweat dripping off of me. In front of me there stood the same white wolf, which seemed to evaporate into a white mist that surrounded me. Just as it disappeared I could hear the howl of a wolf in the distance!”

“The most important part of that, however, was during the combat I had noticed something new. I was able to do things better and easier then I could before. I felt almost weightless and I believe I have perfected the basic Olfen Dahr technique! I’ve been trying to achieve such perfection through physical training. But that was the wrong path, I had to prepare my mind for such a step. Through the loss of a combat I have gained valuable wisdom and a more refined understanding of my skills.”

He continues on “ It makes perfect sense that perfection, in any way, can be achieved only through the perfection of both the mind and will as well as the physical body.”

He stops for a bit and grabs something to eat. He bites into a loaf of bread then takes a bite of salted pork. He looks brighter and more alive then he did before. You do notice he has seemed to loosen up a bit – talking and conversing more openly.

“I’m not to sure that is all I have to learn from such visions. I believe if there is more for me to learn or begin to understand it will be through that avenue. I think there is also one other meaning to the visions. There is a group I’ve only read about known as the Wolf Order Elite. They are said to be some of the most awesome fighters known to the Academy…. But I have never seen them…. “ He lowers his voice even though it wouldn’t matter anyway – we are after all in a cabin. “ I’ve heard a rumor that they have so much discipline and control that if need be, they can temporarily separate their soul from their body to achieve mighty goals! In any case I believe the wolf also stands for my goals and ambitions here in the world. I don’t think I’ve seen the last of him…”

BSF

Explorer
I will note that Tormal looks haggard after his week and a half in the forest. It's not like he is particularly skilled at survival. Still, he is a relatively tough guy and the forest is not the worst environment to be stuck in. I am sure he will come through it without any lasting damage.

Remove ads