[True20] Caliphate Nights- How are you using it?

Quickleaf

Legend
I wanted to find out how EN Worlders are using Tales of the Caliphate Nights and if anyone has had the chance to play any games using it. Your earnest feedback is welcome!

JBowtie

First Post
I've not had a chance to run a game yet (I"m still trying to get my group to sit still long enough to honor a playtesting commitment!) but I have been using it heavily.

My own campaign world has been in development for some time, and there is definitely some crossover; I've been strip mining it for usable mechanics. I'm also injecting some of the flavor into a couple of arabic-themed cultures.

I did have a chance to play through the True20 adaptation of "Death and Freeport" as a player; we used weaving as a core ability for a bard class - that's been really excellent. We've also adopted a couple of the powers.

Our biggest criticism was that too many of the feats have way too many preqs - aside from that niggling detail, it's an enjoyable read with a staggering array of innovative mechanics and pitch-perfect style. I liked it.

Turanil

First Post
JBowtie said:
I've been strip mining it for usable mechanics.
As he says. I would use the feats and archetypes for use in my campaign (that is, the material found in the core book, as I won't buy the Caliphate Nights book).

JoeGKushner

First Post
Still haven't got a copy yet and still wading through Gen Con material so it may be a little while before I get to this one. Looking forward to hearing other people's observations on it. :)

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Master of the Game said:
I thought about it, but $45 just seems like a bit steep to me.

Ditto. I want to buy it, but given the actual size (i.e. length) of the book, I can't justify dropping $45 on it. I'll make due with the core book setting infor and Worlds of Adventure, for the time being and snag CN if I find a used copy sometime down the line.

starwolf

First Post
Well, you could always buy the PDF. All the content without the added overhead of print and physical distro. cost.

At least that way the producers see some sort of remuneration for their hard work.

Just a thought.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
starwolf said:
Well, you could always buy the PDF. All the content without the added overhead of print and physical distro. cost.

At least that way the producers see some sort of remuneration for their hard work.

Just a thought.

That sounds as though you're saying that I'm obligated to buy the thing just because it was published. I'm sure that isn't what you meant to imply ;)

yojimbouk

Explorer
Is the print copy of CN only available in the US? I tried all the good mail order companies in the UK and they aren't stocking it. Maybe the price put them off ordering copies (which would be about £30 in the UK).

Jim.

Remove ads