• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

True20 Fantasy -- 'Blue Rose' book useful?

Akrasia

Procrastinator
I have the True20 core rulebook, and plan to use the system for a fantasy game (somewhat D&D-ish in nature, but with magic less common, and an overall 'grittier' tone).

Is there anything in the 'Blue Rose' book that is not included in the True20 corebook, but would be useful for running a True20 fantasy game? I'm thinking of additional feats, powers, etc. here.

I have zero interest in the BR setting. I'm just asking about additional fantasy 'crunch' here.

Thanks! :)

Turanil

First Post
I've got almost everything True20... :) So, where your question is concerned, I would say that the Blue Rose Companion is a good buy for use with True20. It has very little of the Blue Rose setting, it's mostly crunch (110 pages).

Herobizkit

Adventurer
I think the BR book came out BEFORE the True20 text. If you want magic-rich fantasy, use the BR book as-is and completely ignore the True20 one.

ValhallaGH

Explorer
Herobizkit said:
If you want magic-rich fantasy, use the BR book as-is and completely ignore the True20 one.
Yet the OP said he wanted less common magic. Which means that his approach is probably the best one for his desires.
Herobizkit said:
I think the BR book came out BEFORE the True20 text.
You think correctly. True20 grew out of the basic mechanics behind the Blue Rose book.

Ruland

First Post
I recommend the Blue Rose Campaign Setting book very much for any True20 fantasy game, because the BR take on acquiring powers/arcana is very interesting and usable for a low magic setting as well.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
ValhallaGH said:
Yet the OP said he wanted less common magic. Which means that his approach is probably the best one for his desires.
Well, d-oh! *smacks head*
To make magic less common, simply increase the casting DC of spells by 5 or even 10. That will made spells difficult to cast and fairly unreliable, and make mages hungry for more in short time.

Kesh

First Post
The core rules are pretty much the same as True20 with a few tweaks. The only big change left out is the Corruption mechanic (similar to D&D's Taint optional rule). That has a huge impact on magic, as some spells become the province of evil (or at least reckless) characters. I would argue that BR is better for low-magic simply because of this mechanic, as it makes PCs hesitate to cast some of the more powerful spells due to the risk involved.

Aside from that, absolutely pick up the BR Companion for lots of extra rules (including ritual magic).

Remove ads