Turning Caves into Dungeons

I got thinking about these and was wondering

Which caves in our world are worthy of being dungeons and how would you do them, in a gaming system of your choice?

aramis erak

Legend
Which caves in our world are worthy of being dungeons and how would you do them, in a gaming system of your choice?
I've used undergalcial river caves in my most recent D&D game... but I don't think in terms of the real world ones when doing dungeons, as I associate dungeons with intentional maze-like constructs (fantasy), and prisoner cells beneath castles (Historical).

That said, some of the Welsh coastal cave homes would make decent 5-room dungeons...

on a larger scale, the abandoned city of Petra is a great valley village carved into the sides...

See, what makes a cave a good place for either a fortified dwelling, camouflaged fortress, or prison is defensibility... and access to food, water, and resources.

The Cappadocian cave cities are poor dungeons - they're defensible, sure, but mostly from the surface; some interconnected underground. Some of the ones in above ground outcrops are still inhabited. A few are rumored to have new digs happening on a family by family basis.

The Ethiopian and Tunisian underground compounds (one of which is highlighted in Star Wars...) are villages/cities (Tunisia) or church, rectory, parish "hall," and monastery compounds (Ethiopia and Eritrea), noted for plenty of light but low direct insolation, and thus comfortable temps all the time. The issue with these is multifold - the biggest being rain. They're a single pit, and human-excavated rooms off the center. If used as such, a desert "well town" makes a great adventure location, but not really a dungeon in the classic maze sense of D&D use.

The Polish Salt Mine dwellings and churches are there because salt was more valuable than silver until the 18th C... and the rise of evaporative salt mining from the ocean on a practical scale. They have no food source; it's traded for. Likewise, water isn't a thing you can find in them - the salt is hygroscopic, so water is also imported... the churches and dwellings were present because of the travel times; house the workers near the working faces, provide them a church, and give them water and food rations in exchange for the salt... This also means, however, that they are not good dungeons, as they can't sustain life without support from the surface, and a dryness so profound it's used medicinally...

Oh, and I do heartily recommend use of Jennel Jaquays' Central Casting: Dungeons, published under the name Paul Jacquays. Hard to find, but VERY worth it.

Some links:

Last edited:

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
Many of my 'dungeons' are cavern systems...

The first map shows a literal cavern system.

The Second map is a Dwarven mine, which is hardly different than a cavern system.

The Third map is inspired by Aramis Erak's post, above this one, showing an ice cavern under a glacier, with a subsidence fracture.

caverns-drawn.jpg
dhur-naal.jpg
ice-caves-update-1.jpg

aramis erak

Legend
@gamerprinter there's one thing missing from that third - the braided streams that run down the caves in the real ones. It's the lowing water that makes them.

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
@gamerprinter there's one thing missing from that third - the braided streams that run down the caves in the real ones. It's the lowing water that makes them.
I made that one as a commission for Stormbunny Studios Rhune setting of Viking Stormpunk, so I was mostly following the author's direction. Location #1 is a hole on the surface of the ice accessing the tunnel beneath. I put in the subsidence fracture on my own, and they even adjusted the adventure to include that hazard (of possibly closing off a passage). I'd have done more custom design, if I'd been allowed...

As an aside, I actually entered an ice cave at the mouth end of field glacier near Homer, Alaska, I walked in about 20 feet, touched some ice, and got out of there. Later in the day, that cave entrance was gone; collapsed. I knew it was dangerous to enter...

Celebrim

Legend

Most of them, if not all of them. It's just a matter of the scale of your dungeon.

As a former caver I tend to draw a lot of quasi-realistic cave systems and base individual rooms in fantasy cave systems on real world rooms I've encountered.

I will say that for the most part Grottos do everything in their power to make sure maps of caves do not fall into the hands of the uninitiated for a variety of reasons, but among the more sympathetic is that they have a healthy and realistic fear that people will take one look at a map and get themselves in over their heads and thereafter show up on the annual cave accident report along with the gruesome details of their death.

As such I can't easily point you at examples.

Remove ads