Two feats inspired by LOtR

Lord Vangarel

First Post
Personally I'm not happy with a feat that breaks one of the main rules in 3E that you only get one attack unless you do a Full Attack Action.

I agree DMaple. While the feat should allow a simultaneous arrow to be fired any bonuses for damage should be applied just once. It is as if the two arrows are one attack so you only get an additional 1d8 damage or whatever with no other modifiers. It is like one attack which if it hits grants one additional arrows worth of damage.

I think the Improved version striking two creatures would inflict the damage on both but not the standard version.

Hopefully the restrictions are heavy enough that a character will only attempt it in situations where they want to guarantee taking the creature down, and probably wouldn't be doing it more than once a round anyway. It would be obscene if the archer was always firing two arrows.

Darklone

Twin Shot

Just a few things:

- I don't like that Point Blank Shot and Rapid Shot are no prerequisites. As well as Quickdraw.

- I would agree to make it a standard action since you only shoot once. And combined with Quickdraw you should be able to knock 2 arrows at once. BUT:
Have you ever tried to shoot two arrows with one bow? It works. At short distances. With half power for each arrow. Which makes it useless against one enemy in decent armour. So what about this:

Make it a Standard Action. Add the prereqs Point Blank Shot and Quickdraw. Perhaps forget Rapid Shot. Scale down the damage dice. Means: D8 will do D6 damage. Half str bonus for mighty bows.
And don't allow to combine it with Rapid Shot or Multiple Attacks due to high BA.

There you got it.
As for the targets for improved Twin Shot: I would say they should not be farther than 10ft from each other.

Lord Vangarel

First Post
Ok, Darklone

I agree with adding in the prerequisites Point Blank Shot and Rapid Shot. I'd also limit the effective range for the feat to within 30-ft. I wouldn't reduce the damage though as the feat only adds an additional arrow damage and doesn't give strength etc on the second arrow (for Twin Shot).

On Improved Twin Shot I agree with extending within 10-ft of each other if the range is limited to 30-ft.

Hopefully with these changes the feat mirrors what Legolas did in Moria. :)

Another LOTR-inspired feat

I think those two Legolas-styled feats you had were pretty balanced. The prereq's seem to make it even. I had an idea for another feat though. You know the scene where Lurtz pulls the dagger out of his leg and whips it at Strider? Well I had an idea for that....

New Feat
Weapon Deflection
Prerequisites: Dex 15+, Weapon Focus(medium sized weapon)
Benefits: You may Deflect Arrows (as the feat) except that you use your weapon to do so instead of your hands to deflect the arrows or projectile weapons.

What do you think?

Darklone

Re: Another LOTR-inspired feat

Strider The Ranger said:

New Feat
Weapon Deflection
Prerequisites: Dex 15+, Weapon Focus(medium sized weapon)
Benefits: You may Deflect Arrows (as the feat) except that you use your weapon to do so instead of your hands to deflect the arrows or projectile weapons.

What do you think?

That feat exists already... though I don't know where. It's for sure something several prestige classes own. Besides: Houserules often proposed to make the Refl save against the attack roll.

Creeper

First Post
Rackhir said:

My Archer character when firing rapid shot has bonuses of 22/22/17/12. I would cheerfully take another -4 to effectively double damage and at 1d8+1d6+13 per arrow (excluding crits) the Tarasque would die post haste pretty much with that feat. For a moderately high level archer, to hit bonuses are rarely a problem.

But how many arrows does your archer carry? Assuming a 'standard' quiver of 20, you would only have 2 1/2 rounds of bowfire. Now, factor into the equation, what spells would a mage of the same level be casting? Since I don't know what level your archer is, I am hesitant to say, but an equivalent level mage will probably have a few mass death spells he could toss (that would hit more than 20 targets) in the same 2 1/2 rounds.

DMaple

First Post
But at that sort of level the archer could have a magic quiver that produces endless arrows. Heck he could have a bow that fired flame arrows or something equally nasty.

Rackhir

Explorer
Creeper said:

But how many arrows does your archer carry? Assuming a 'standard' quiver of 20, you would only have 2 1/2 rounds of bowfire. Now, factor into the equation, what spells would a mage of the same level be casting? Since I don't know what level your archer is, I am hesitant to say, but an equivalent level mage will probably have a few mass death spells he could toss (that would hit more than 20 targets) in the same 2 1/2 rounds.

Quiver of Elhona - Holds 60 arrows, plus 18 javalin sized objects. If you have an open minded GM that could translate into another 240 arrows (javalins are 2lb per, 20 arrows 3lb per). Plus it's very cheap, only about 2,500 gp (get two).

But yes, ammunition supply is a significant problem for a high level archer and it only gets worse when he's hasted. My GMW arrows disapear like a sand castle in a high tide. Lots of skill points in fletching helps so you can make your own arrows.

Not to get into a Mage's VS (fill in the blank) thread, but I was talking about damage to a single target. Plus if you read the description the Tarasque is essentially immune to nearly every spell in the book.

Remove ads