Unbalanced pantheons

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
How does everyone here handle pantheons (or whatever you call your groupings of gods, whether social, political, or other) that are unbalanced in some way?

For example, my pantheon has two greater gods who wish to destroy the undead and no greater or intermediate gods who champion them. What effect might something like this have on your world?

Pssthpok

First Post
As with most levels of the game, balance is what you make of it. If you're willing to construct a situation where the power on one side of the fence vastly outstrips that on the other, then you've got to either have a reason for the imbalance of power (in CRG's case, perhaps the two greater deities have just finished imprisoning the greater deity that supports undeath, or perhaps they one of them has recently turned to the light side and they are now working on getting rid of the infestation) or have some sort of story justification (again in CRG's case, the two greater deities opposed to undead might have qualms about death in general, or might respect any form of life alive or undead, or might have problems between themselves that prohibit their focusing attention on the undead to any great effect).
In any case, its your bed. You lie in it. If you don't want Pantheon A to have more divine ranks or divine factors than Pantheon B, its your job to handle that. If you don't mind, or if it's not that important to you because story comes before the stats, then to hell with it.
The rules are a bunch of ingredients. Cook to taste.

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Pssthpok said:
As with most levels of the game, balance is what you make of it.
[...]
In any case, its your bed. You lie in it. If you don't want Pantheon A to have more divine ranks or divine factors than Pantheon B, its your job to handle that. If you don't mind, or if it's not that important to you because story comes before the stats, then to hell with it.
The rules are a bunch of ingredients. Cook to taste.

I rather agree -- we each design our own worlds, that's why we're DMing. Still, I'm interested in how everyone addresses the issues, because they might do it better or at least give me ideas. I think that everyone discussing it can benefit.

Pssthpok said:
If you're willing to construct a situation where the power on one side of the fence vastly outstrips that on the other, then you've got to either have a reason for the imbalance of power (in CRG's case, perhaps the two greater deities have just finished imprisoning the greater deity that supports undeath, or perhaps they one of them has recently turned to the light side and they are now working on getting rid of the infestation) or have some sort of story justification (again in CRG's case, the two greater deities opposed to undead might have qualms about death in general, or might respect any form of life alive or undead, or might have problems between themselves that prohibit their focusing attention on the undead to any great effect).

I can explain the greater gods, if it would help. Ra, NG god of life and the sun, opposes the existence of undead as an abomination: the undead pervert the natural order and break the life-death cycle. Hades, NE god of the underworld, hates the creation of undead because they are literally stealing souls from his kingdom. This leads to a curious cooperation between these diametrically-opposed* deities.

I don't think that this sort of conflict is rare, although perhaps not often this pronounced. Perhaps a pantheon has a god of light and of darkness; if these are of differing powers, why does the stronger one suffer the weaker to live? (Perhaps it does not, and is in the process of killing the weaker now; but often this is not the case.)

* On paper, anyway. Hades is actually not very evil at all, but is sufficiently self-centered that he qualifies. Ra is something of a paragon of good; he was once (as a demigod) the high priest of a very powerful, now-dead LG greater god.

paradox42

First Post
Well, since I responded to the other thread with a high-level view of my pantheon, and it's very clearly imbalanced by CRG's definition, I may as well weigh in here with my own thoughts.

The most obvious imbalance is that the three Greater gods are all gods of Magic. There are no other Greater deities in this world to oppose them, so this can only mean that magic is a very, very powerful force on this world. And so it is- my world has many house-rules to reflect this change, all based on the fundamental premise that magic is in everything in this world. Every person, every creature, has at least the potential to become magical.

To this end, no class in my world doesn't have some sort of supernatural power available to it. Fighters, for example, traditionally the focus of non-magically-inclined people, gain Spell Resistance at 21st level automatically, and starting from 12th have the ability to Craft Magical Arms & Armor- they can take the feat (even as a bonus Fighter feat) even without ever having taken spellcaster-class levels to get it. That's just one example, but it illustrates the point- I tinkered with even the most basic of the base classes to add magic to them. I was actually doing this even in the 2nd Edition version of this same world, since it was obvious to me that an imbalance like this had to have consequences within the world-reality itself.

A less obvious imbalance comes from the fact that those same three gods are all disdainful or actively hostile to intelligent Undead- every now and then one of them will use it as a really terrible curse to put on somebody he hates, but it's very rare otherwise. Mindless undead, like skeletons and zombies, are seen as tools rather than creatures in their own right- so while they are frowned upon, they aren't actively discouraged by any of the three except the Good one since he prefers people to do things for themselves (and this explains why the Animate Dead-type spells have the Evil descriptor). In fact, my Evil god's motivation is on the surface identical to that which CRG used for Hades; the god- Cenob by name- hates undead because they are essentially keeping themselves beyond his grasp. In the world background I actually have written several more complex plot-points for where his dislike for undead comes from, but I won't go into that now- though I will note that there is at least one Atropal sealed in a prison-cocoon somewhere in the world.

What this means, among other things, is that sentient undead on my world are exceptionally rare- vampirism is an unknown and very scary disease, carcasses moulder away in graves instead of being eaten by ghouls, mummies only exist on other planes of existence, and liches are unheard-of- actually since there is an actual Immortality spell in my game world, most spellcasters who might otherwise choose lichdom to avoid death have another, better option available to them anyway. Knowledge (Religion) checks concerning undead creatures have much higher DCs in my world than they do elsewhere; this was actually used as a plot-point in one game of mine that happened to involve a lich. None of the party members knew what it was or how it could be dealt with and stopped, except for one solitary priest of the Time goddess whose most interesting character quirk was that he was born off-plane. He was human, but specifically a planar human rather than a native to the world. This carried several disadvantages for him mechanically, but he took full advantage of this particular RP advantage when it happened to come up.

This means that, as a DM, I've been forced to avoid using many off-the-shelf published adventures, because they assume a level of "undead penetration" into my world which simply isn't there in fact. Level drains come from high-level spellcasters using Energy Drain or one of its siblings, not from Wraiths or Spectres- there are few or no Wraiths or Spectres around to do the draining. Vampires only exist when they arrive from off-plane, and even then they don't survive long unless they "go underground" and become very circumspect about their dealings with (and feedings upon) mortals. Ironically, in the metagame this has meant that few players play Clerics, and those who do rarely invest much in their turning ability- except to use it for other purposes like Divine feats. When Undead do show up in my games, they can be significantly more powerful than they would be elsewhere, because the existing PCs aren't taking advantage of their vulnerabilities.

Those are the two most obvious imbalances in my world, based upon the pantheon, and I could go into a lot more detail about both of them if I wanted to (or thought people would be interested in more detail)- but this post is long enough already. :lol: I'll leave further discussion of these two, or other imbalances which exist in my pantheon, for another time.

Hi CRGreathouse mate! :)

CRGreathouse said:
How does everyone here handle pantheons (or whatever you call your groupings of gods, whether social, political, or other) that are unbalanced in some way?

For example, my pantheon has two greater gods who wish to destroy the undead and no greater or intermediate gods who champion them. What effect might something like this have on your world?

How long has this been the status quo?

You would imagine after a century or two there would be a shortage of undead in that world.

Who are the immortal antagonists? Is it just Hades?

Even though they may be the most powerful gods worshipped on this planet, the planet itself may not exist in a vacuum - spiritually speaking of course. :D

You understand that you have gods working together who a diametrically opposite in alignment! :eek:

I don't see how undead unduly affects Hades power, especially if they (meaning intelligent undead) were tp worship him. You would think he would embrace them...metaphorically speaking. ;)

Undead are still dead after all.

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Upper_Krust said:
How long has this been the status quo?

You would imagine after a century or two there would be a shortage of undead in that world.

Hmm, let me pull up the spreadsheet with the exact timing. OK, Ra has been a greater god for 3,920 years or so; the particular anti-undead push is probably 3,850 years long, then, giving him a few generations to assert himself. Hades has always been opposed to the existence of undead, but his particular vitriol toward them didn't start until much more recently, perhaps 800 years ago.

There haven't been powerful undead gods for 3,000 years.

Upper_Krust said:
Who are the immortal antagonists? Is it just Hades?

Hades and Ra are the main opponents of undead. An intermediate god, Enrith, also opposes them, but not as single-mindedly. Not until the ranks of the lesser gods do any openly support undead, although several intermediate gods don't mind them.

Upper_Krust said:
Even though they may be the most powerful gods worshipped on this planet, the planet itself may not exist in a vacuum - spiritually speaking of course.

Actually my planet does exist in a spiritual (though not literal!) vacuum. There are no other groups of gods for other planets. The only gods that exist but are not known on the world are those too powerful to be known and those that do not choose to reveal themselves.

Upper_Krust said:
You understand that you have gods working together who a diametrically opposite in alignment! :eek:

Yes, there are several cases where gods at least two steps apart work together:

Ra and Hades (NG/NE), as discussed above.
Ranthbor and Ra (LN/NG), both former worshipers of the late Aeos.
Honeth and Korven (CN/LG), both champions and protectors of the halfling race
Ebon and Ranthbor (CN/LN), since Ebon is the non-evil replacement of an evil god
Ebon and Ra (CN/NG), ditto.

There may be other cases, but these are the obvious 'off the top of my head' cases. Gods aren't constrained by their alignments, of course, and follow their interests first. Of course it helps that I'm not using a 'Great Wheel' system that segregates gods by their alignments.

Upper_Krust said:
I don't see how undead unduly affects Hades power, especially if they (meaning intelligent undead) were tp worship him. You would think he would embrace them...metaphorically speaking. ;)

Undead are still dead after all.

The souls of the dead are held by Hades, who ransoms them back to other gods, sells them back to mortals (raise dead and the like), or retains them to absorb their power. Like Plouton of Greek mythology, he is a cthonic god of riches, vastly increased by the souls. Creating an undead creature requires stealing a soul back from Hades, which serves both to sap his power and to anger him.

Undead worshiping Hades would be slain on calling out to him.

Even good parties have at times accepted quests (for money) from various representatives of the church of Hades to destroy undead creatures. This has led to some rather interesting situations, where the PCs agree that the undead creature in question is certainly evil but helping the church itself is morally questionable, at best.

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
paradox42 said:
To this end, no class in my world doesn't have some sort of supernatural power available to it. Fighters, for example, traditionally the focus of non-magically-inclined people, gain Spell Resistance at 21st level automatically, and starting from 12th have the ability to Craft Magical Arms & Armor- they can take the feat (even as a bonus Fighter feat) even without ever having taken spellcaster-class levels to get it.

Interesting, this certainly shows the high-magic nature of the world. How does that work with prerequisites?

Do the greater gods benefit from the use of magic by mortals (and thus encourage it), or is its frequency just a side effect of so many powerful magical beings?

paradox42 said:
In fact, my Evil god's motivation is on the surface identical to that which CRG used for Hades; the god- Cenob by name- hates undead because they are essentially keeping themselves beyond his grasp. In the world background I actually have written several more complex plot-points for where his dislike for undead comes from, but I won't go into that now- though I will note that there is at least one Atropal sealed in a prison-cocoon somewhere in the world.

Very, very interesting. Is there anything of that you'd be willing to share? I understand the need to keep things secret from the PCs, of course, so I'll understand if you prefer not to show your hand.

Is Cenob weakened by the creation of unintelligent undead, or only by the sentient ones?

paradox42 said:
What this means, among other things, is that sentient undead on my world are exceptionally rare- vampirism is an unknown and very scary disease, carcasses moulder away in graves instead of being eaten by ghouls, mummies only exist on other planes of existence, and liches are unheard-of- actually since there is an actual Immortality spell in my game world, most spellcasters who might otherwise choose lichdom to avoid death have another, better option available to them anyway.

To be blunt, do you think that any such world (in particular, mine) should be largely free of undead? So far I've used significantly fewer undead than a 'normal' campaign might, but still more than in your campaign.

paradox42 said:
Those are the two most obvious imbalances in my world, based upon the pantheon, and I could go into a lot more detail about both of them if I wanted to (or thought people would be interested in more detail)- but this post is long enough already. :lol: I'll leave further discussion of these two, or other imbalances which exist in my pantheon, for another time.

Are there any imbalances in your pantheon that fail to significantly affect your world? Why?

paradox42

First Post
CRGreathouse said:
Interesting, this certainly shows the high-magic nature of the world. How does that work with prerequisites?
In the case of the Fighter, a specific house rule waives the prerequisites (or perhaps just adds a "or Fighter level 12th" to them) and states that a Fighter counts as caster level {Fighter level} - 9 for the purposes of using the feat- so at 12th the character would be limited to creating +1 items by himself. Obviously, without actual spells available, the selection of abilities a Fighter could add to a weapon or armor is quite limited, unless said Fighter gets a spellcaster friend who has the spells available and is willing to help. This takes advantage of the 3.5 rule that allows item crafters to collaborate on item creation, or even to get help from non-crafters who happen to have certain things the crafter lacks.

I love that rule, it really helped out this aspect of my world. :D

CRGreathouse said:
Do the greater gods benefit from the use of magic by mortals (and thus encourage it), or is its frequency just a side effect of so many powerful magical beings?
Combination of both, I'd say. In fact, I've postulated a semi-scientific basis for magic in my world, which seemed a logical step to take given that I had written in the Golden Age which was advanced quite far in both technological prowess and magical accomplishment. They would have treated magic as just another science, really, so I had to be ready if the players ever decided to do the same thing. Thus, I came up with the idea that magic is a fifth fundamental force of the cosmos, like gravity and electromagnetism- the difference being that magic is one manifestation of a living force, in fact the force that causes the split between life and anything that isn't truly alive. This life-force, like many forces in our reality, has several "flavors" and "spectra" which can be differentiated by the "weight" or "energy level" of the particles carrying it (dubbed "vitons" in my scheme), and I postulated that it is this division which leads to the difference between magic, "ki" energy of Monks and others, psionics, and basic soul energy- as well as actual "primal" energy which is that used by the gods. In any form, the force is largely capable of performing the same tricks; it's just a matter of how much you need to do and how quickly you need to do it.

So under this paradigm, every living entity of any sort- and yes, there exist sentient robots and AIs that actually have real souls and are thus technically "alive-" has access to some of this life energy, which allows "supernatural" effects to occur. The key is in whether and how the entity learns to control the force. I decided, back in 2nd Edition, that the way to explain level-ups was that the character acquires another "spark" of life-force, or another instance of whatever-amount-of-vitons-was-necessary to explain the new powers gained. What this meant was, eventually the force of vitons in a character gaining many levels would build up until it manifested supernatural effects whether or not the character actually knew how to use the energy, or even where it was coming from. So every single class, bar none, would get magical powers and psionic powers. When 3E came along I basically just re-tweaked my list of 2nd Edition power-ups and added them to the 3E classes.

In the game world, the existence of this phenomenon is unremarkable; it's just how the universe works and people don't even think about it for the most part. The three deities of Magic, of course, have some say in what powers go to whom on the magical side of the magic/psionic equation, so in that sense you could say that these powers are a side effect of the deities' presence. On the flip side of the coin, my explanation for how deities gather power from mortals always involved the mortal unconsciously "giving up" a small portion of vitons now and then to the deity or deities most closely associated with his or her activities at the time, and thus the more mortals performed certain activities the more powerful the gods would become. This is less powerful than worship, but with enough mortals around it becomes significant. So in other words, the three Magic gods do indeed get a small measure of power from the use of magic by mortals, and if more mortals use magic then they'll get still more power. But it's not as good as worship in terms of "power generation" for them, which explains why the gods rely so heavily on their churches instead of doing everything for themselves.

In UK's scheme, the Worship Points System and the whole idea of Quintessence adapts quite well to my "viton" idea, so all I'd really need to do is figure out exactly how a sphere of inffluence generates power for a deity and I'd be able to explain that last facet of godhood. I figure the Worship Points System itself could be adapted to allow for "events" on an individual scale that just create trickles of power now and then to funnel to deities, easily enough, though I admittedly haven't tried it. I'd obviously really like to see the Resonance rules, since I suspect the comparison and contrast with the Worship Points System could be very helpful to figuring out this aspect of divine energy in my setting.

CRGreathouse said:
Very, very interesting. Is there anything of that you'd be willing to share? I understand the need to keep things secret from the PCs, of course, so I'll understand if you prefer not to show your hand.
As far as I know, none of my payers read this site, often or otherwise, so I'm probably safe. My reluctance to detail more wasn't because I was afraid of players reading, but because I didn't want to take up too much bandwidth. :)

In brief, and tying this back to my mentioned-in-the-other-thread idea that Cenob is a representation of divine Raistlin, Cenob used to experiment with undead as a means of creating life. He's always been frsutrated with his inability to create life, because he knows that life is where he gets his own energy from and he wants to be able to have independent sources of it for himself so he never has to rely on anybody else. His attempts all ended in failure, and in the case of Atropal(s) disaster. The atropals and their ravenous hunger for life finally made him give up the experiments in disgust, and now sentient undead only serve to remind him of his failure- it galls him to a depth and in a way impossible to explain in human terms. So in fact, of the three gods of Magic, it could be argued that Cenob (the god of Death) hates them most of all, though of course he never shows that to others. Also, the only explanation he's ever given his church is that undead attempt to take from him that which is rightfully his- namely their souls (even though, by being undead, the souls are properly constructed of anti-vitons rather than vitons).

I haven't decided exactly how many atropals exist in my setting yet, but I know where one of them is- near the top of one of the ancient towers which are the remnants of a space elevator system that used to link the surface of the world with the orbital Ring Station thousands of miles above. That particular atropal, I also decided, is also a cyborg, though the full consequences of that are yet to be determined. I have a cyborg template, which I've used many times to spectacular effect in various games run in this setting, but it's a non-Epic template and it feels like the atropal should have more. Also, I'd have to decide who or what gave the atropal the implants, and why, and what the atropal itself thinks of them. But that's all for the future- right now nobody's even come close to deciding to make a trip to that particular tower yet (except in dreams, which I'm not counting- two dream trips have been taken into that tower by characters in the now-Epic game).

CRGreathouse said:
Is Cenob weakened by the creation of unintelligent undead, or only by the sentient ones?
He isn't directly weakened by any of them actually- his hatred for them stems more from personal problems than anything else, as you can see from the above. :D But he would say, if a mortal actually asked him the question and caught him in a good enough mood not to blast the wretch out of existence for daring to turn his mind to the topic, that sentient undead steal power from him by their existence, and must therefore be destroyed to put that power back where it belongs (i.e. with him).

CRGreathouse said:
To be blunt, do you think that any such world (in particular, mine) should be largely free of undead? So far I've used significantly fewer undead than a 'normal' campaign might, but still more than in your campaign.
I don't know about making a general case, but it's what I did for my own world. That said, there have been a few times in my DMming "career" with this setting that I've regretted not having them around to use, and I do relish the chance of using them when I can work it in. As I said, even the Triad do occasionally use it as a really nasty curse, or authorize such use by others. One example used in my 2nd Edition game was a former Paladin who was transformed- by the God of Paladins himself- into a Death Knight for abandoning his troops to the enemy at a critical moment during one particularly important battle. The PCs in that game actually encountered this Death Knight and his undead army, deep in the Underdark, and barely got away alive though they did manage to take down several vampire and lich lieutenants and almost got the General himelf.

I also broke my own rule when Fantasy Flight Games published Mythic Races, and I fell in love with the concept of the Eleti- sentient, PC-worthy undead that aren't necessarily inimical to the living. I wanted them in my world, and after a couple of months of wrangling I came up with an explanation for their existence- that one of the continents of the Hollow World, a place I'd already known was desolate and uninhabited due to some ancient curse, essentially created them by accident. Basically, I decided exactly what the Curse of Kharz was, and linked it up to the Eleti. Briefly, the Curse causes any living creature that dies on that continent to be transformed into undead, and be un-raisable in the usual sense. What I haven't fully worked out yet, in my mind, is how the various deities who dislike or hate undead feel about these new benign examples of the type, but I'm determined to keep the Eleti in the setting because they're just too cool not to. :)

CRGreathouse said:
Are there any imbalances in your pantheon that fail to significantly affect your world? Why?
Offhand, I'm hard pressed to think of a way in which the Law-Chaos imbalance has affected the world, except perhaps that there's such an enormous variety of options available for characters there (really, that's a result of my own personality, but then again- I'm certainly Chaotic myself). I suppose you could also say that the existence of Wild Magic in the world is a sign of Chaos, though not a very obvious one. As for why, I've never really considered it, though I'm sure part of the reason (unconsciously) is that the primary focus on alignment conflicts was always intended to be Good and Evil. The whole pantheon structure, in fact, is obviously designed to promote said conflict, while Law-Chaos is virtually ignored.

Remove ads