Unique British aspects of D&D in the UK?

nerfherder

Explorer
The traditional mode of navigation in the UK is by pub names. Which is why changing the name or closing a pub is always so controversial.
Yeah, when meeting up for a drink in Newcastle, you often had to know the previous name(s) of pubs/clubs.

e.g. "Meet you at the Head of Steam.

Used to be the Eye on the Tyne.

Before that it was the Baltic Tavern.

Bonded Warehouse - yes, that one!"

GuyBoy

Hero
On the subject of pubs and directions, anyone ever play Pub Legs?
Doesn’t work on motorways (interstates to our US friends) but great on long journeys on A roads.

Driver is pub 1, first passenger pub 2, second passenger pub 3 etc, returning to driver to restart the count.
You get a point for every leg your pub has.
For examples:
Red Lion has 4 legs
The Minstrel has 2
Fox and Goose has 6
King’s Head scores 0

Keep a tally and, at journey’s end, the winner is anointed.
Passes the time on long journeys.

I'm in the Seattle area and I've noticed more and more roundabouts being put in over the last 20ish years. I really appreciate them on the backroads between towns because stopping at a 4-way with no one else in sight is annoying and inefficient.

I've visited the UK a couple times and the sense of awe at the age and history of things is real. I'm also from the West coast of the US, so I feel a similar sense of awe when I visit any historical site East of the Mississippi. On the flip side, I'm absolutely spoiled for wilderness and regularly use that as inspiration for my games. One example taken from less than an hour from my home:

Attachments

• 20230716_123650.jpg
    20230716_123650.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 33

The Grinning Frog

Explorer
Publisher
My aunt used to be a district nurse, and she knew every street name in Liverpool. So when she was giving directions she would rattle off a long list of street names. Leaving me hopelessly confused.

The traditional mode of navigation in the UK is by pub names. Which is why changing the name or closing a pub is always so controversial.
Yes it is, I forgot that. Not being a pub goer myself this has always been endlessly unhelpful!

The Grinning Frog

Explorer
Publisher
I'm in the Seattle area and I've noticed more and more roundabouts being put in over the last 20ish years. I really appreciate them on the backroads between towns because stopping at a 4-way with no one else in sight is annoying and inefficient.

I've visited the UK a couple times and the sense of awe at the age and history of things is real. I'm also from the West coast of the US, so I feel a similar sense of awe when I visit any historical site East of the Mississippi. On the flip side, I'm absolutely spoiled for wilderness and regularly use that as inspiration for my games. One example taken from less than an hour from my home:
My aforementioned wife is from Seattle and having been there I concur about your incredible scenery. I don't think she's run into any of those roundabouts on her visits back but I will be sure to tell her they now exist there!

The Grinning Frog

Explorer
Publisher
On the subject of pubs and directions, anyone ever play Pub Legs?
Doesn’t work on motorways (interstates to our US friends) but great on long journeys on A roads.

Driver is pub 1, first passenger pub 2, second passenger pub 3 etc, returning to driver to restart the count.
You get a point for every leg your pub has.
For examples:
Red Lion has 4 legs
The Minstrel has 2
Fox and Goose has 6
King’s Head scores 0

Keep a tally and, at journey’s end, the winner is anointed.
Passes the time on long journeys.
Brilliant. Could be done without taking turns but rather the first person to call the pub gets the points. Tally up at the end of the journey.

General_Tangent

Adventurer
From a personal perspective I'd heard of D&D but it was the documentary series South of Watford hosted by Ben Elton that really opened my eyes and thanks to the magic of YouTube you can experience what it was like to play D&D in the 80s.

Remove ads