• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Useful Familiars + Spell Domains

Felon

First Post
In my campaign, the rules for school specialization have been replaced by spell domains from Unearthed Aracana. For those who don't have UA, a spell domain grants a specific bonus arcane spell every level, much like a clerical domain.

Now, my house rule is that when a wizard selects a familiar, he gains access to a spell domain. In addition to bonus spells, the domain also grants the master a domain ability (which replaces the usual crappy skill bonuses granted by gaining a familiar). The table below correlates familiars with their spell domains and the abilities granted by the domain.

Code:
[B]Familiar Type	Spell Domain 	Master's Granted Abilitiesr[/B] 
Bat		Necromancy	Gains Intimidate & Listen as class skills
Cat/Weasel	Illusion	Gains Sleight of Hand & Move Silently as class skills
Hawk		Evocation	Gains Intimidate & Spot as class skills
Owl		Divination	Gains Spot & Use Magic Device as class skills
Rat		Abjuration	Uses Int modifier for Fortitude saves instead of Con
Raven		Conjuration	Gains Appraise & Sense Motive as class skills
Snake		Enchantment	Gains Bluff & Diplomacy as class skills
Toad/Lizard	Transmutation	Spend 1 skill point to gain 1 hit point each wizard level

Last edited:

Thaniel

First Post
I for one really like this idea for some reason. Though, I think the special abilities for Abjuration and Transmutation are a bit overpowered, especially considering how powerful some perceive Transmutation to be.

Felon

First Post
Thaniel said:
I for one really like this idea for some reason. Though, I think the special abilities for Abjuration and Transmutation are a bit overpowered, especially considering how powerful some perceive Transmutation to be.

As a frame of reference, it may be useful to note what the normal benefits are for having a familiar:

Code:
Familiar 	Special 
Bat 		Master gains a +3 bonus on Listen checks 
Cat 		Master gains a +3 bonus on Move Silently checks 
Hawk 		Master gains a +3 bonus on Spot checks in bright light 
Lizard 		Master gains a +3 bonus on Climb checks 
Owl 		Master gains a +3 bonus on Spot checks in shadows 
Rat 		Master gains a +2 bonus on Fortitude saves 
Raven 		Master gains a +3 bonus on Appraise checks 
Snake 		Master gains a +3 bonus on Bluff checks 
Toad 		Master gains +3 hit points 
Weasel 		Master gains a +2 bonus on Reflex saves

Now with the rat, the wizard normally gets a flat-out +2 bonus on Fort saves. With my house rule the wizard's Int would have to be 4 points higher than his Con just to break even on that, and I've never seen a wizard (PC) with a low Con. I think that it's OK, especially considering we're talking about both a weak save and one of the weaker domain choices.

The ability to convert 1 skill point into 1 hit point is a nod to what the toad normally grants, but it also incorporates the theme of transmutation. Admittedly it's significantly superior to just gaining 3 hit points--especially if you don't have anything better to do with your skill points--but it's still inferior to simply upping the class's hit dice to 1d6 (which in and of itself would not be overpowering).

I think there's a lot of stuff here that meshes well. Most of the familiars correlate to a spell school naturally. Some have affinities you might have to think about (what does a toad or lizard have to do with transmutation, for instance).

Last edited:

Remove ads