• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Vehicle Construction Section

BlackJaw

First Post
Ok, I've gone ahead and finilized the list of ship parts to include... we all knew this was going to be a big section, and boy is that true.

I've got it in sections by type of commonent.

21 power sources including systems that mimic classic Spell Jammer devics (arcane jammer, psi jammer, blood jammer)

28 engineering systems including those for adding lift, like blimps and "sky ore" and engines that range from magic to mundane.

7 Support systems that include life support, like having your ship wrapped in a magic envelope of air (spell jammer).

8 Drive systems for special modes of travel, like plane shift, hyperspace (astral drive), and teleporation systems (dragon star).

6 command systems like cockpits, control bridges, auto-pilots, communications and detection arrays.

10 cargo systems that range from simple cargo rooms to fuel tanks of holding. My favorite are the hangers and runways systems for making aircraft carriers.

6 defensive systems including two types force sheilds (one that mimics D&D sheilds, and and a more complex one that works like a "star trek" sheild that the engineer is always trying to get more power into).

23 weapon systems that range from catipults and balistas to cannons to energy weapons (which work for lasers as well as magic weapons) and systems for spellcasting on a space craft (which normaly isn't easy to do because there is an air tight wall between you and other vessels). I even got grappling systems (tractor beams and special arms) and systems for improved ramming.

But I got to do full write ups for them all, including movement, manuverablity, and lift rattings. I also haven't started to consider pricing these.

BlackJaw

First Post
I think one of hte interesting ideas I came up with was for systems like Sails (wind, solar, psychic) and Blimps.

Instead of these systems being built into the hull, you instead build a mount on your hull, and then attachc the sysem to the mount. This means a Large blimp takes up as much hull space as a small blimp. (a large blimp has some uggly armor class penalties).

The concept here is that large extended objects on a ship are not the same as components stuffed into the hull. The same mount can be used for small wind sails as for large sails, but the bigger sails make a vessel easier to hit (they are bigger targets).

Blimps are worse, as they slow a vessel and make it harder to manuver on top of the armor class penalties. Blimps are mostly used on heavey vessels as they provide hughe lift.

Solar panals also work this way (there are fantasy versions of solar pannels that absorb mental wash and latent magic energies).

The system works for Blimps, sails (rigging), and solar arrays (and the like).

Remove ads