Video Games: Nostalgia Vs Extinct Genres

Along those lines, a game that marked in many ways the high-water mark and end of what is now an extinct genre - Grim Fandango. At one time "Adventure Games" were a major share of the market. After Grim Fandango, major studios ceased to make Adventure Games as they seemed to feel that the market wasn't big enough to justify the expense. Adventure Games began to incorporate action/shooter and RPG elements, and action/shooter and RPG games began to do more with cut scenes and carefully plotted storylines. Now you have things like "The Last of Us" and "Uncharted" that have story going but aren't accessible or enjoyable to the gamers that purely enjoyed playing out the story without heavy reliance on combat, reflexes, and so forth.

I would say that genre of games is pretty far from extinct. It's mainly filled by indie developers rather than AAA studios, but it's a fairly rich niche when you get into it. Thimbleweed Park, What Remains of Edith Finch, and The Stanley Parable are the first names that come to mind, along with anything from the Telltale games series.

R_J_K75

Legend
I recently got a Nintendo Switch. I'd been debating getting one for awhile and a friend convinced me because a lot of the old games from previous consoles are available to play with a subscription. I was mad when I found out that Metal Gear 1 & 2 weren't available. Apparently from what my friend said there was a dispute over the rights and they reverted back to games creator so the chances it being available on switch are pretty slim to none. I havent read that first hand so I I dont know the exact details or truth of it. Those were fun games. Alot of the classic NES games like Zelda, Super Mario, Metroid and Kid Icarus were great, but there was alot of garbage games too. Nintendo Online recent;ly had Baldurs Gate 1 & 2, Torment, Neverwinter Nights and Icewind Dale bundled for $50 a few weeks back and Im mad because I didnt buy them.

Zardnaar

Legend
The absolute must games that I still play around with from decades ago would be...

Diablo 1
Diablo 2
Starfleet Command
Conquest Frontier Wars
Freelancer
X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter
X-Wing Alliance
Tropico
Sim-City 2
Dungeon Hack
Defender
Pac Man
Galaga
Zork

Some other reminders after reading the thread...

Master of Orion (original)
Infinity Engine Games (Baldur's Gate series, Icewind Dale Series, Planescape Torment)
Birth of the Federation

Alot of those do fall into they haven't made anything better to replace them.

Zardnaar

Legend
I would say that genre of games is pretty far from extinct. It's mainly filled by indie developers rather than AAA studios, but it's a fairly rich niche when you get into it. Thimbleweed Park, What Remains of Edith Finch, and The Stanley Parable are the first names that come to mind, along with anything from the Telltale games series.

No genres truly extinct but generally you get the occasional throw back game. Genres that are "extinct".

RTS (maybe more life support like 2D fighting games)
Side scrolling beat em ups
Platformers
Most Star War Games (few and far between)
God Sims

There's probably more.

MarkB

Legend
The absolute must games that I still play around with from decades ago would be...

Diablo 1
Diablo 2
Starfleet Command
Conquest Frontier Wars
Freelancer
X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter
X-Wing Alliance
Tropico
Sim-City 2
Dungeon Hack
Defender
Pac Man
Galaga
Zork

Some other reminders after reading the thread...

Master of Orion (original)
Infinity Engine Games (Baldur's Gate series, Icewind Dale Series, Planescape Torment)
Birth of the Federation
The X-Wing games are old favourites, but it's a long time since I've actually played one, as I no longer have a joystick, and wasn't able to get a decent keyboard+mouse or even controller set-up that I was comfortable with.

Freelancer does at least play very well with keyboard and mouse, and I love the single-player campaign - really feels like you're playing through a properly cheesy 80s/90s sci-fi movie.

I've recently started playing Everspace 2 (bought it in early access, gone back to it now that it's released) and it's doing a lot to scratch that Freelancer style arcade-ey space combat game itch.

No genres truly extinct but generally you get the occasional throw back game. Genres that are "extinct".

RTS (maybe more life support like 2D fighting games)
Side scrolling beat em ups
Platformers
Most Star War Games (few and far between)
God Sims

There's probably more.

I can't help but feel that your definition of "extinct" has more to do with games you don't play anymore than games that are being released/played.

RTS: I'm going to be lazy on this one, because it's not something I play very much: 16 BEST RTS Games of 2022 - Gameranx

Beat-em ups: Minecraft Legends, TMNT Shredder's Revenge, River City Girls (1 and 2), Castle Crashers, Streets of Rage 4.

Platformers: Kirby and the Forgotten Land, Metroid Dread, Disney Illusion Island, Hollow Knight, Shovel Knight, Celeste, Mario Maker 2. And that's just 2d.

Star Wars games: Jedi: Survivor, Jedi: Fallen Order, Hunters, Squadrons, Tales from the Galaxy's Edge

God Sims: https://www.pcgamesn.com/the-sims-4/steam-player-count, The Sims 4 Player Count - How Many People Are Playing?

Zardnaar

Legend
I can't help but feel that your definition of "extinct" has more to do with games you don't play anymore than games that are being released/played.

RTS: I'm going to be lazy on this one, because it's not something I play very much: 16 BEST RTS Games of 2022 - Gameranx

Beat-em ups: Minecraft Legends, TMNT Shredder's Revenge, River City Girls (1 and 2), Castle Crashers, Streets of Rage 4.

Platformers: Kirby and the Forgotten Land, Metroid Dread, Disney Illusion Island, Hollow Knight, Shovel Knight, Celeste, Mario Maker 2. And that's just 2d.

Star Wars games: Jedi: Survivor, Jedi: Fallen Order, Hunters, Squadrons, Tales from the Galaxy's Edge

God Sims: https://www.pcgamesn.com/the-sims-4/steam-player-count, The Sims 4 Player Count - How Many People Are Playing?

Star Wars games are comparatt8ve. They're not extinct as such but back then they were across multiple genres and several were very good.

They're down to a 3 games. I've heard squadrons is hard tnplay during to lack of players.

Used to have Star Wars shooters, RTS, RPGs, space games.

Most of those other games only heard of a few of them. Few genres are extinct extinct (none made) but they're reduced to occasional indie releases or occasional throw backs you have to go out of your way to know about.

Star Wars squadrons sure it's a space based Star Wars shooters. It's the only one back when I played a couple think there were 5 or 6 at least.

Remove ads