War of the Burning Sky (4e) -- Rhogar's Misfits

wolff96

First Post
Well, it's been a while since I tried to write anything, so I thought I'd see what I could do with the new War of the Burning Sky campaign. This obviously contains spoliers for that AP. :)

To that end, I will be scribing up a kind of lightly fictionalized account of our sessions as I have time. If I move the occasional encounter around or put words in one of my fellow player's mouths... well, most of them don't read this board anyway!

Constructive criticism is always welcome.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Snow swirled down in fat, heavy flakes, a city's worth of pigeons coming home to roost. I pulled my cloak tighter around me, wishing I'd brought something heavier. This festering boil of a city might look slightly better in the winter, but the same mountain pass that made it important made it colder than an Inquisitor's heart.

I wondered again what in the world I was doing here and whether honor had brought me to the right place. Ever since the Immortal Emperor of Ragesia had vanished, things had been so confusing. That witch, Leska, had been abusing her power ever since, using her Inquisitors as a secret police force to round up any potential dissent to her new
rule. She even had some kind of vendetta against arcanists; Leska's men had even stolen away Old Ilse, our tribe's wise-woman, as if that crone had any thought beyond her next meal or playing with her latest grandchild.

Now here I was, half a thousand miles away and traipsing through falling snow with as misfit a group as I had ever seen. If this was the best Gate's Pass fledgling resistance could put together, the whole town was going to ground to dust as soon as the Ragesian Army in the valley below could get organized. Looking around at the windows shuttered against the cold, I couldn't help but feel a little sorry for these people. Caught between Leska's ambition and the Shahalesti Elves on the other side of the mountains, they didn't stand a chance. I'd delivered the warning of coming forces and done my part. Now it was time to go.

A soft, tentative voice floated back on the breeze. "Poison Apple Pub, just ahead, snow already thick on her shoulders." It hadn't taken me long to learn not to question Jaela's eyes. Even through the thickly swirling snow, the Shifter had effortlessly picked out the shadowy building. As disconnected from reality as she might seem, her sharp eyes missed very little. I smirked to myself, flashing my tusks. Now if only she didn't occasionally see things that weren't there at all.

Sure enough, I made out the outline of the meeting point a few seconds later. An old, run-down building even in this part of town, the Poison Apple was currently closed and boarded up, the note tacked to the door stating that the owner had been arrested under suspicion of
working against Ragesia. I sneered at the sign, more proof that the lackwits that ruled in Gate's Pass planned to be as inviting to the incoming army as any other whores.

Shuffling around to the side of the building through the quickly deepening drifts, I knocked on the door as instructed. When it didn't open, Timmo appeared like a ghost over a disturbed grave, his already quiet movements further masked by the snow. Giving his trademark disturbing grin, the little Halfling made some picks appear as if by magic in his tiny hand. Speaking more to himself than anyone present, the little thief commented, "I'll have it open in two shakes."

Before he could make good on his boast, the door swung out of its own accord. The wan candlelight that spilled out into the night, revealed a heavily armored woman with hair as white as any old woman's, despite her young and athletic form. Looking up and down the alley, she ushered the three of us in without comment.

The Pub was mostly deserted, with the furniture stacked in the corner near the bar, drop cloths keeping off the dust. The rest of the place was empty but for a lone table with a candle flickering forlornly on it and a circle of chairs pulled up close. Two of the chairs were
already occupied and I felt my hand rising of its own accord to the hilt over my right shoulder. One chair held another shifter, but the other… an enormous Dragonborn lounged at the table. That scaly bastard was easily the biggest thing I've ever seen on two legs, at
least six and a half feet tall and carrying an axe bigger than most war shields. He was eyeing us coldly, one arm curled protectively around the relatively tiny shifter leaning against his bulk. "Peace, you two," said the white-maned woman as she closed the door behind Jaela, glaring at the pair of us.

"My name is Torrent. And with so much violence about to spill into this city, we don't need any more to start the New Year. You're all here because of the Resistance. Jaela, Timmo, Jedrek, I'd like you to meet Rhogar," with a nod to the Dragonborn hulk, "and his wife Rose. They've been with us for a while now, though she's still learning the Common Tongue of the Empire."

I have to admit, I probably gaped like a landed fish. The huge Dragonborn and the tiny shifter... I shared a look with Timmo, who shook his head in disbelief. I glanced over at Jaela, but she seemed currently fascinated by the way her fingers flexed as she moved her
hand. With an inward sigh, I turned back to the 'couple' at the table. "I'm Jedrek, this is Timmo, and Jaela's the one over there." The Dragonborn nodded agreeably enough, his blue-white scales gleaming by candlelight.

Feeling the tension in the room abate a bit, Torrent moved up to the table. Dipping a wooden tankard into a cask I hadn't noticed on the floor, she held it up and told us to grab our own. Once everyone was seated, she took a slug of beer like the drink had personally offended her, slouching in her chair and staring off into space gloomily. "Just because we're about to be invaded and the spineless slugs on the council are going to open the gates, there's no reason we can't celebrate the New Year. To lost friends.” With that rather morose toast, she downed her mug in three swift swallows.

Our odd group sat quietly for a minute or two, drinking and lost in our own thoughts. Torrent shook herself like a horse bothered by flies and sat up. “Alright, enough of that. You’ve all helped the Resistance before, for your own reasons. Some of you are just looking
to get out of town. Others believe in the cause or want to save lives. Regardless, we need to ask for another bit of assistance. A spy, a slippery little gnome by the name of Rivereye Badgerface,” she paused, waiting for our snickering to die down before continuing “yes, his name is a bit odd. He’s a rather effective spy, though. The slippery little bugger is in a guarded depository about a half-mile from here. He managed to ‘liberate’ a case of vital military intelligence from the Ragesian palace and the heads of the Resistance think it needs to reach the Lyceum. I need your help to get that case, get out of the city, and get far away from here before the idiot city council lets the Ragesian Inquisitors in. Once that happens, the odds of us escaping are… slim, at best.”

Jaela suddenly stirred from whatever internal world she generally inhabited. “I was on my way to the Lyceum once. Leading a friend there to study, the best mage academy in the lands. We didn’t know about the Inquisitors or the danger. My friend did a few tricks, entertaining some children. Just a few colored lights to make them laugh. The next morning, she was gone. Taken.” She waved a hand in the air, batting away memories, perhaps. “It’s far from here, to the south. Dassen’s southern peninsula.” We all stared at her, Timmo and I shocked to hear her string together so many words in a reasonably coherent stretch. Oblivious to our continued staring, she went back to idly carving designs in the table with her dagger.

Torrent nodded, though she continued to view Jaela a bit skeptically. “I have a plan. South of Gate’s Pass is the Forest of Innenotdar. No one knows what happened there during the last war, but the forest has been aflame for the last few decades. I’ve got potions – enough for all of us for six days – to get us through the forest, protected from the flames.” She smiled, tight and cold. “Let’s see those Ragesian bastards follow us through there.” Her smile faltered, turned brittle. “Of course, we have to get there, first, and the gates are currently closed to all but military personnel. We’ll have a time getting out of town, even if we can get our hands on the case.”

Timmo cleared his throat, drawing our attention. If nothing else, the little man loved his drama and picked his moments with care. And his knives, but I was trying not to think about that at the moment. “If I remember what I’ve heard on the street right, Erdan Menash is one of the few on the council that doesn’t like the Ragesians. I’m pretty sure he could convince the Guard to let us out, even if the gates are supposed to be closed. Or maybe he could get us some uniforms.” Idly walking a coin down his knuckles, the Halfling smiled at the flicker of light in the dark room. “Might be a way out of town. He owes me one anyway, I bought one of his oddball weapons.” He looked around the table, probably hoping someone would ask to see one of his little toys.

I cleared my throat. “My father always told me to kill the man in front of you before you looked for his backup.” I looked around the table, gauging reactions. “We need to get the case before we worry about getting out of town.”

Torrent nodded. “We’ve an hour from the midnight bells before Rivereye leaves the Depository. It’s not that far from here, though, so it shouldn’t be an issue.” She sighed. “I’m no soldier, but I feel like a coward, running from the Ragesians. But this mission is important. We have to get that case. It could be worth more than all of our lives, depending on what information it contains.” The bells began tolling midnight, as if on cue, their forlorn tolling like a call to a funeral given the current mood in the Poison Apple Pub.

The Dragonborn’s voice rumbled into life between the bell’s tolls, startling us all with its depths. “You are not a coward. You act to save other lives. A commander must be the one who leads, inspiring his men with his example and showing them the path. The way is not always glamorous. But it is vital that he sees the battlefield and drives forward, choosing not the most popular or easiest path but the one most likely to lead to victory.” It was an odd speech, but even I felt a bit stirred by it. You could feel the conviction in his voice, radiating like heat from a campfire. Torrent straightened a bit in her chair, heartened by his words.

Nearly hidden by Rhogar’s speech, a couple of quiet thumps sounded on the roof. I took them for snow sliding under the continuing fall outside, but I noticed that both Shifters kept their eyes on the floor above us as Torrent started speaking again.

“Alright then. We move forward. We’ll go to the Depository, get the documents, then see this contact of Timmo’s and escape the city. We must not fail or the Resistance may fail with us.” The bells, finally done declaring midnight, fell silent.

Rose suddenly kicked her chair back from the table, letting it topple to the ground as she pulled a staff from beneath the table. Jaela looked at the clatter before returning her eyes to the ceiling. “We’re not alone. Footsteps above.” My eyes darted around the room, seeking a passage to the upper floor, half-orcish heritage serving me well in the gloom. I spotted the stairs against the far wall, noticing belatedly that Timmo was already crouching at their base, staring upward into the darkness. Little bastard moves like a cat when he feels like it.

We moved to encircle the stairs, Torrent standing as if frozen by the table. Timmo struck a sunrod, momentarily blinding me, before the two of us began cautiously ascending the stairs. Rhogar and Jaela moved together on the ground floor, while Jaela took the lead, passing us on the stairs to put her heavier armor and shield between us and harm. Timmo had reached the landing above when a voice called from outside, “Now!” and a hammering slam sounded at the front door.

Swearing in orcish, I dove from the stairs and sprinted across the pub. I dove across the bar and landed near the piles of discarded furniture. With a grunt of effort, I picked one up, still trailing the drop cloth, planning to reinforce the front door before they could knock it down. Before I could take two steps in that direction, though, the door splintered inward, letting in a swirl of cold air and a pair of thuggish-looking men in mis-matched armor. Standing behind them, dropping a portable ram, a rather large and scruffy man was in the process of drawing an axe, with several more thugs crowding behind him. We were about to get overrun.

I could have set down the table and pulled myself another beer for all my blade was needed, though. Rose lifted her staff and pointed at the door, hissing something in a bizarre voice. The end of her weapon kindled with flame that shot across the room, striking and burning the
man who had just knocked down the door. The flames split apart and curled like snakes, settling all around the man and incinerating his companions as they screamed.

An explosion sounded overhead, rocking the entire building and sending splintering wood scattering in all directions. Burning oil poured through from above, scalding my scalp as I changed direction and used my table to block the side-door to the Pub. I had to keep us from being surrounded. Not to mention that I wanted nothing to do with Rose and her snakes of flame.

Footsteps and cries continued upstairs, the heavy tread of Jaela’s boots mixed with Timmo’s much quieter steps Judging by the rapid pounding of footfalls, they had found our visitors. I heard an ominous crackling and groaning from the timber over my head and got my hands up just in time to block part of the falling ceiling. Coughing and spitting up dust, I looked up into an inferno that would have made the Spirit of the Flamebringer Dragon proud. Ragesian oil-bombs had obviously hit the building and the entire upper floor was on fire and beginning to come down.

I heard a meaty thunk and a bellowing voice, drawing me back to the fight on my own floor. The thug, still bracketed by the Shifter’s living flame, had hurled his axe and struck Rhogar in the face. I snarled, dragging my feet through the fallen debris as I began closing on the man. The little Shifter apparently took the threat to her husband a bit more spitefully than I did. She slammed her staff into the ground with an oddly muted thumping sound. The wooden shaft suddenly burst into new, green life that extended in a thorny whip of vine that wrapped around the man, blood spurting from his body where the thorns dug in. She then set her feet and yanked him directly into and through the flames she had created. Writhing like living things, they lept from the floor and struck, burning him horribly before flickering out. Rhogar stepped up and cried out “Form on me, we cut our way out of here!” before finishing the man off with a swipe of his own battle axe.

Looking at the ceiling over the Dragonborn’s head and noticing that it was going to be the next chunk to fall, I decided not to take his command. Grabbing Torrent, who still looked shocked at all the violence around her, I drug her outside into the snow. After the heat and flame of the fire inside, the falling snow felt good on my face. A roaring crunch inside told me I’d been right about the ceiling falling and a minute later the Dragonborn and his wife came outside, the Dragonborn gingerly touching his split facial scales and some new
bruises on his head.

Poking my head back inside of the rapidly collapsing pub, I shouted, “Timmo! Jaela! Grandfather always said that only a fool fights in a burning building!” Rhogar nodded, apparently agreeing with grandfather’s wisdom. Rose darted off, though, heading to the alley that had let us inside in the first place. Handing Torrent to Rhogar, I followed in time to see her incinerate a trio of attack dogs with those same odd snakes of fire. The attacker’s shadowy leader decided that he wanted no part of us without his men and scrambled away on horseback through the trash-choked alleyway.

With a pair of thumps in the snow, Timmo and Jaela appeared in the alleyway, dropping out of a shattered window and into the soft snow. Glancing up at the Pub, engulfed in flame, Timmo cocked an eyebrow at me and commented, “Well, it’s a good bet the Empire knows we’re here.”

Rose raised an arm, pointing out into Gate’s Pass and hissing and spitting in her odd voice, in no language that I recognized. “She says that the Empire has hit the city, not just us.” I turned, noticing that Rhogar had rejoined us with the still-shaken Torrent. Sure enough, the city was aflame in many locations, brightening the night with curtains of flame.

Overhead, the shrill cry of a wyvern cut the night as one of the bombing crews prepared for another run. The griffon-riders that should have been protecting the city were nowhere to be seen. As I scanned the sky, on the lookout for any new incoming bombs, I noticed Jaela staring with delight at a passing Wyvern. “The thumps before the fight… Wyvern poop!” With a happy grin, she began scooping up snow for a snowball. “Plop!” Timmo and I shared a glance. It looked like a long night was just getting started.

---

Everywhere we looked, people had been rousted from their New Year’s Celebrations to deal with the attack. A family stumbled from a burning building, coughing up smoke and dragging their meager belongings behind them. As we passed, the father begged us for help.

Rhogar immediately turned aside, offering first aid to the father and then easing the breathing of one of the children with some kind of herbal concoction. I had to admit it made me smile to see the huge Dragonborn caring for the human child, who stared at this scaled apparition from out of the snowy darkness in a mixture of fear and awe.

Another building farther along had caught an oil-bomb on the second floor, trapping residents above. Most had managed to climb or jump to safety, but one woman was clutching a window on the fourth floor, too frightened to move. Timmo threw a grappling hook into the window beside the woman, deftly hooking it and giving her a way down. Already seeing how this was going to go, I pulled out my winter blanket and gave a corner to Jaela as a makeshift safety net.

Sure enough, the trembling woman made it less than five feet down the rope before losing her grip and tumbling down the building. We easily caught her, lowering her shaking form to the street and leaving her in the care of her family.

We had nearly made it out of the burning district, with one of the city walls in sight ahead, when cries of terror rose from the crowd ahead. Like a rising tide, people began fleeing from the wall ahead. I was about to draw my blade when irrational fear crashed through my mind and filled my head with only one thought: GET AWAY. Pushing and shoving through the crowd, I bounced my head off a building at one point. The sharp pain in my already abused skull was enough to clear my thoughts and I scanned the crowd for my compatriots. Timmo was nowhere in sight and probably hiding out of the way of the crowd, Rose was running in terror with the rest of the mass of folk, and Rhogar was trying to chase her even as the crowd shoved and jostled him farther away. In the end, the panic died as quickly as it started, though the Dragonborn was a little the worse for wear after getting nearly trampled by the crowd while trying to reach his wife.

I was trying to find out if everyone was okay when I noticed Jaela staring fixedly into the sky. Worried she might have taken a blow to the head that could have made her even odder than usual, I walked up as Timmo melted out of the crowd on the other side. “In the sky, wings of crimson. A Wrackspurt, maybe?” Timmo and I shared yet another glance. If she wasn’t so quick to notice detail or useful in a fight, it’s doubtful we would have even considered travelling with her. If something had been in the sky, it was long gone and no one else had seen it.

Every time we stopped, even as we took a quick breather after the near-trampling of the crowd, Torrent stared at the sky. She was fuming at the delay, her sense of duty chafing at the time slipping past.

The last straw was a merchant, whose ‘baby’ had run off. Begging for our help, he told us that he had tried to take shelter in an old church before Kiki had squirmed loose and run off. Despite Torrent’s impatience, we followed his directions half a block to the old building. Jaela lowered her nose nearly to the snow, taking a deep sniff before looking around for tracks. Standing up, she pointed down a side-street. “Big weasel, went off that way. Smells of fear and sulfur.” She looked serious for a moment. “He over-feeds it, too many sweets.”

When I started following the tracks Jaela had spotted, Torrent finally exploded. “It’s a WEASEL! Time is slipping away, the city is under attack, and you lot want to go chasing weasels! At least the rest were human.” Rose looked murderous, Jaela appeared amused by her outburst, but Rhogar was the one who responded. “Lady Torrent… may I point out that not one of US is ‘human’? Would you have us be as callous as our enemy? This man obviously regards his pet highly.”

Whatever reply the outraged woman might have come up with was cut short as Timmo and I returned. “Besides,” piped the Halfling, “not only did I find the little walking fur coat in the sewers that Jedrek pointed out, I also found this down there.” Holding the wayward weasel in one arm, he held up a box in the other.

Shimmering fabric picked up the glints of firelight as a beautiful cloak was revealed inside the box. Despite the filth encrusting the box, Timmo, and the weasel, the cloak was clean and pristine. Sigils and runes were stitched deep into the cloth and it appeared to billow slightly, more than the snowy breeze could explain. “Ooh,” Jaela said brightly, “Looks magic.”

---

<END SESSION ONE>

wolff96

First Post
Party Roster for the first session:
Jaela -- Longtooth Shifter Warden (Wildblood). She's a space cadet, but OUR space cadet.
Jedrek -- Half-Orc Barbarian (Rageblood). My character, hard-headed.
Rose -- Razorclaw Shifter Druid. Wife of the Dragonborn. Don't think about it too hard.
Rhogar -- Dragonborn Warlord (Inspiring). Husband of the Druid. Don't think about it too hard.
Timmo -- Halfling Rogue (Artful Dodger). Shifty little fellow. Quick with a blade.

-----------------------------------------------

The fun part about this party is that the Warden is played by my girlfriend and is kind of bubble-headed until combat starts (deliberately). If you think of Luna Lovegood from Harry Potter, you'll have a really good bead on her personality.

Rose and Rhogar are played by a real-life married couple. He's got a little RPG experience (mostly in Warhammer fantasy) and it's his first 4E game. This is her first game EVER and she was unbelievably brutal. I don't think teaching her tactics will be an issue... She didn't want to talk much, so her character understands but doesn't speak the Common Tongue of the Empire.

Timmo is a solid player with lots of experience. I haven't gotten much of a bead on his personality yet, but he sure is useful... although a little disturbingly quick to go for his daggers. :)

Jedrek the Barbarian is my character. He's not nearly so bright as he sounds above, but I was having trouble actually writing for a dumb POV character. I took nearly enough damage across this first session to bloody me and never did get to roll a d20 for anything but skill checks. Maybe next session I'll actually get to use that Fullblade I carry around... ;)

wolff96

First Post
The last one when I wrote it up was kind of a giant wall of text. So this time, I produced the first part of last week's session, with the rest of it yet to come. I figure that they're a bit less bulky this way. Next write-up once I have a chance.

--------------------------------------------------------------

His new cloak swirling about his massive shoulders, Rhogar led the way through the last set of gates. Even through the thick snow, the Depository was easily visible, a massive edifice of stone rearing into the sky.

Surrounded by a strong iron fence with guarded gates near 20 feet high, the tower’s grounds looked well-suited for the coming Ragesian attacks. Oddly enough, the building had not been hit during the attacks, leaving it pristine. Banners swirled in the wind, draped off the balconies visible above the walls.

A nervous-looking group of guards met us at the gate, an odd mix of dwarves and orcs. I was impressed by their diligence, for all of the guardsmen stood alert and ready to fight. Their leader asked for a key after calling for us to halt. Torrent pulled a slender chain around her neck and fished the required key out of her armor. The leader, a gruff dwarf actually apologized for doing his job, pointing to the skies and telling us that they were all on edge.

Behind him, masked by the leader, another guard whispered a word into the locking mechanism, which began to ponderously open. I noticed Rhogar shoot a glance at his wife, but Rose only shook her head; with the wind still swirling, she hadn’t made out the whispered keyword either.

The inner courtyard contained a beautiful statue of the Immortal Emperor, his torch raised high in salute or greeting. The torch itself glowed softly, giving the falling snow a warm, crimson glow. I stopped for a moment, bowing my head. Timmo and Rhogar stared at me as I did so, but neither challenged my belief in the true leader of Ragesia.

More guards patrolled the grounds inside, impressing me with their diligence and attention to duty. One of the orcs at the inner door grinned at me, passing a quick nod as another opened the door for us. “Mind you don’t get confused as to which locker is yours, lady. There’s more guards inside. Lanterns, too, just inside.” He paused, flashing his tusks in a wide smile. “You’ll regret taking one at the moment, though. Another fellow came through a few minutes ago, and that little gnome was powerful ugly.”

Torrent nodded brusquely, apparently offended for her fellow Resistance member. Inside, the lantern light revealed one large chamber taking up the entire tower, filled with the metal coffers of other patrons. A ramp along one inner wall wound up out of sight, disappearing to the floor above us. Another point of light across the way resolved into an ugly little gnome holding a lantern as we approached.

Coughing like one about to die, the little fellow commented on how happy he was to be in the Depository where it was safe, rather than outside. As he turned around, he called back to our little group “Follow me, Peppin, you’ll want those documents.”

I shrugged, assuming the gnome’s eyesight was as bad as Rhogar’s, but I heard Rose hiss and spit behind me in that odd tongue to her Dragonborn husband, while Jaela asked “Did anyone else hear him call us Peppin? How odd…”

Timmo asked the most pertinent question of all, though, to Torrent. “Has Badgerface met with Peppin before? Would he recognize him?” When the cleric responded that the gnome had worked for the Resistance before, Timmo’s face turned grim. “My friends, what we have here is an impostor.” The little man loosened his daggers in their sheaths, obviously preparing to whip them out.

Impatient, the false Rivereye called from ahead “Come, come, we must hurry.” Stopping at a locker, he turned to Torrent, grating out his words between coughs. “Well? What’s the password?”

Torrent just looked at the little fellow, completely confused. “Password? What password?”

Apparently, that was enough to tip him off. The gnome turned, displaying a surprising amount of speed, and dashed for the ramp to the next floor. Rhogar had been waiting, though, for just such a move and grabbed the man before he could cover more than half a dozen steps. The rest of us surrounded the struggling figure while Rose drifted over to watch the ramps in case of reinforcements for our impostor.

Hemmed in against a row of lockers with enemies on all sides, Badgerface drew a slender rapier and began fighting against us. As we traded blows and opened wounds on his tiny form, he called for help and continued looking for ways to escape. Rose continued to vigilantly watch the ramps, that odd, living flame dancing in her hands. Unexpectedly, though, the gnome’s help came in the form of a ball of light appearing from nowhere in a little blast of flame.

Jaela’s call of “Ooh, shiny” was nearly lost under the roar of a burst of flame out of the tiny creature. The little gnome attempted to use the distraction to escape and was promptly skewered from five directions.

His bleeding body slumped to the ground as the little ball of flame vanished as suddenly as it had appeared.

Rhogar put away his axe with a sigh. “I’m glad he didn’t escape. But next time, can we try asking questions or finding out what’s going on FIRST, please?” I had the grace to look embarrassed; it simply hadn’t crossed my mind. Timmo just grinned, wiping off his daggers on the imposter’s cloak.

Checking the corpse for anything incriminating, Rose suddenly sat back, hissing in surprise. Rhogar asked a few questions in the same tongue. Off his skeptical look, Rose shot him a disgusted look and smeared at the ‘gnomish’ face with her finger. Makeup smudged away at her touch, apparently breaking whatever spell he had used to change his looks. Revealed before us was an Eladrin, his pale and too-tall corpse twisted in death. I have to admit, I was really confused. “Magic can do that? Make someone several FEET shorter than they should be?”

Jaela looked at me in amusement, coming back from looking at the metal studs in the walls. “Yep. Be nice to me or I’ll shrink you down and carry you in my pocket.” I looked after her warily as she wandered off to another ramp.

“Uh, guys? Can she do that?”

--------------------------------------------------------

The guards came pounding up the ramps as we searched the remainder of the tower. Apparently, a couple of slender figures had been seen escaping over the wall. I looked out the balcony at the distance they would have had to cover. “Either they can fly or something really odd is going on.”

Timmo shot me a disgusted glance. “We just fought a three-and-a-half foot tall eladrin and NOW something odd is going on?” I opened my mouth to say something, realized I couldn’t argue with the little man’s logic, and closed it again.

One of the guards got suspicious when he realized that his fellows were missing. “There should be guards here. Where are they?” I looked around, confused. The guards inside the tower had been mentioned, but I had forgotten about them. The orc leveled his blade at us. “Until we figure out what’s going on here, I’m going to ask you to put your weapons down.”

I was ready to fight, but Jaela laid a hand on my arm and gently shook her head. I looked at Rhogar and Timmo, but both were already removing their gear. The Halfling pulled a rather impressive armory from hiding places all over his armor, smiling sheepishly as a shocked dwarven guard accepted the pile of blades. Rhogar finished removing his weaponry and held his hands out, palms up in a gesture of peace. “We’re happy to help. We did not come here to cause trouble, but it certainly found us.” He shot me a glance that warned me to stay calm before finishing, “We’re happy to wait while you search.”

That little confrontation averted, the guards kept a wary eye on us while several more came in from outside to search the tower. The real Rivereye Badgerface was eventually found stuffed into a locker on the fourth floor, none the worse for wear. He told his tale to the guards, of being attacked by elves. As the guards brought another of their number down covered by a sheet, he bowed his head. “They knocked me out and all the guards on my floor. When that one was about to call for reinforcements…” He sighed. “A little ball of light burned him. To death. I’m sorry.”

Turning to us, he looked carefully over our group, his eyes finally lighting on Torrent’s rather gaudy signet ring. “Ah! The griffin flies by moonlight?”

Torrent replied “And the peasants below scatter, because the droppings are unfortunate.” After finishing, she rolled her eyes, while I found myself wondering if Jaela's apparent fascination with flying poop had something to do with the Resistance’s code-phrases.

Once the guards were satisfied that we weren’t going to assault the gnome or cause any further trouble, they resumed their places in the tower. Rivereye sat down, coughing heavily as he filled in the details. “I used to work for the Ragesians and can’t tell you about the information I brought. It was in a ritual they bound us with. That’s why you have to recover the case! I managed to convince that eladrin fellow that it was trapped and he would need the pass phrase.”

He broke off as deep, wracking coughs shook his tiny frame. “My knowledge of the elven language isn’t that good, but I think the one you killed was Larion. He and his friends had some kind of contact at Gabal’s School – a caster of some kind named Shealis. That little ball of light said something, too. Some kind of escape tunnel is nearly ready. We’re going to have to hurry if we want that case back before they can escape.”

The gnome hopped to his feet, apparently ready to run out the door right then before falling victim to more coughing. “You’re in no shape to travel or fight tonight, little friend,” said Torrent. “We need to get you to the temple. They can heal you, help build your strength.” She turned to us. “Will you please help recover the case? It’s our only hope against the Empire. I can promise you shelter at the temple tonight, a chance to heal your wounds and gather your strength. I might even be able to scrape up some coins, too. Please.”

Rhogar looked around the group, gauging our reactions. Apparently, he was happy with what he saw there. “We’re in, Torrent. Get us to this safe house and we’ll go after this case first thing in the morning.”

Remove ads