• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What is a "Hero" in your campaign, and why play them?

Sound of Azure

Contemplative Soul
(Yawn) Good morning!

Some really interesting responses, plus a couple of unexpected ones (was Hero one of the named levels (4th apparently) for the Fighting Man class in 1e? interesting.). Thanks for the replies.

I'm seeing couple of trends. For some it seems that "hero" means a principal character or protagonist in a story. In essence, a ROLE function. Cool. Indeed, exploring what a character with such epic power and prowess is mighty interesting to me.

Aother school seems to state a "hero" is what D&D defines as "Good", but is apart from most because they do what few (or no) others can, thus setting them above others. The idea I see is those who help make the world better at possible cost to themselves, and possibly without any incentive to do so other than the act itself. Also cool.

I ask you now, though: What attracts you to playing a hero, as you define it? What's the appeal of playing such a character, as opposed to the alternative (what ever that is)?

sniffles

First Post
Sound of Azure said:
I ask you now, though: What attracts you to playing a hero, as you define it? What's the appeal of playing such a character, as opposed to the alternative (what ever that is)?
I don't want to play an ordinary person. I don't want to play someone like me, who feels like their actions make no real difference in the world. I want to come out on top at least some of the time. I want to have the ability to do things I can't do in real life, whether it be cast spells or just make a difference. I want to having a starring role, or at least a major supporting role, in the story. That's why I want to play a Hero.

Gold Roger

First Post
Sound of Azure said:
(Yawn) Good morning!

Some really interesting responses, plus a couple of unexpected ones (was Hero one of the named levels (4th apparently) for the Fighting Man class in 1e? interesting.). Thanks for the replies.

I'm seeing couple of trends. For some it seems that "hero" means a principal character or protagonist in a story. In essence, a ROLE function. Cool. Indeed, exploring what a character with such epic power and prowess is mighty interesting to me.

Aother school seems to state a "hero" is what D&D defines as "Good", but is apart from most because they do what few (or no) others can, thus setting them above others. The idea I see is those who help make the world better at possible cost to themselves, and possibly without any incentive to do so other than the act itself. Also cool.

Now that's an easy one for me, because essentially the definition of hero for me is "A character I am comfortable playing or playing alongside in a Roleplaying game or who I could cheer for in a story or film".

The appeal of playing a hero as I define it is for one that he's the kinda guy that does amazing things and has amazing things happening to him one one side. After all it's far more interesting to explore lost ruins or fence with the hobgoblin king than playing a regular city patrol.

For the other it's the whole cheering for part. I didn't really enjoy Sin City, because (except Hardigan perhaps) there was no character worth cheering for. I enjoy moral dilemma and ambiguity, but usually only if the characters hold up under it.

Cor Azer

First Post
Sound of Azure said:

On those few opportunities I get to play, I like playing the hero because I'm normally the DM, so I normally only play eval bastiches and insidious plotters. It's a change of pace.

I like my players to play heroes because as a DM I like to play eval bastiches and insidious plotters, and I want the players to take them down (or make the attempt anyways).

Generally, I actually ask my players to make characters who have the potential to be heroic. Not everyone can be a hero (that's why the heroes are well... heroes). Generally this means making characters that can cooperate and work well with others and rise above their own weaknesses to get the job done - they don't have to be good persay, but since I usually run actions dictate alignment, and the party is usually trying to stop a BBEG and save the girl/boy/town/country/world, this is often the case near the end of the game.

Canaan

First Post
I like the concept of unlikely or unwilling heroes. But in the campaign I run (and my story hour), there are many heroes. (Shameless plug)

Evora, Priest of Canaan and Theurgic Mystic, is the self-sacrificing, self-less hero, putting himself after everyone else.

Lilian, Champion and Favored of Canaan, is the righteous hero, vanquishing evil with her sword and blind faith in Canaan.

Balian the Everwatchful, Guardian of the Ebon Mirror, is an unlikely hero, doddering through life in a semi-lucid state, except when necessary to save reality.

There are others, but you'll have to read the story hour to find out who they are!

:p

Heroes are the ones the common people look up to. Heroes are the ones who "fight the good fight." Which is not to say they are good.

IMC the party started out as adventurers; a group of 1st level characters with dreams of riches and adventure. They evolved into mercenaries; combat-capable individuals willing to go places that might involve beating up people in return for money/loot. At some point they decided to stay on the "light" side of the law and only beat up people that are bad guys.

The goods were happier being heroes. The neutral wasn't so sure he cared. The evil decided that if he still got loot it was fine by him; better even, since people were nice to him.

The trick, as a DM, to cultivating heroes is to have NPCs treat PCs appropriate to their actions. Just killed the pack of worgs plaguing the wood cutters? Everyone should hail them as heroes and buy them a drink. Killed the hydra in the swamp? The local lord should give them horses & gold and write letters of introduction. Fought off a corpse gatherer that threatened the city walls? The City Council should offer up a small house as reward and offer them tax exemptions or free access to city resources for a year.

Why do the locals do this? Because heroes are useful and if they don't feel appreciated they might become bandits. Nobles & councilmen like heroes because they are generally cheaper than conventional means of dealing with problems and since it's generally reward on completion, it's no loss if they die.

My party likes being heroes. They share a small manor in an elven village they were given for driving off demons. After defeating a horde of undead a Duke gifted them with lands (~250 acres each). A Senator gave them a ship & crew with a hold full of the Emperor's gifts. They hold the rank of Colonel in one nation, are Imperial Champions on a different continent, and have been adopted into a high-ranking Clan. They have purchased properties in two other cities and have public ties to several powerful mercantile organizations.

They might be as wealthy if they were mercenaries but they wouldn't have the prestige or the respect. My NPCs volunteer to provide support for heroes, with the tacit understanding that the Heroes, as such, will in turn support the NPCs. The NPCs don't bankrupt themselves, but the goods give what they can afford, the neutrals give what they feel they should, and the evils give to either avoid drawing attention to themselves by being stingy or to curry favor with the heroes.

Which is not to say that when the party rides into an town that's never heard of them (or at least doesn't recognize them) that the villagers don't react in a somewhat fearfully respectful fashion. After all, the party is wearing jewelry and exceptionally fine (masterwork) clothing so worthy of respect but also laden with weapons of all sorts that are, in some cases, obviously magical and therefore dangerous as all get-out. But the locals will also try to gouge the prices a bit; after all, these wealthy travelers can afford it.

Scarbonac

Not An Evil Twin
"Hero"? What is this "Hero" of which you speak? Most of the characters IMC are "Adventurers" (aka greedy, plundering, grave-robbing bloodthirsty mercenary scum of the Earth).

DungeonMaester

First Post
Ive always had the LotR ideal for a pc. That is to say, Pcs are not as strong or gifted as the more well known people of the world. As a rule, I dont allow feats or cc or the such is is based on trying to max out damage. Players should rely more on critical thinking to slay and not things from books. In a manner of speaking of course.

Of course, I am more liberal on what a player can and can not do then almost any other dm (so say the players who get used to my 'if its comprehsive, its good to go' rule set.)

The hardist part about this is dealing with clieches (Sp?) such as Barbs or CE clerics of hexor (which people only seem want to play for two rather dumb reasons)

Other times, im like every other DM and end up 'Space cow'ing the party becuase role play is "I make 34 attack roll and now I get 4d6+8x4 damage. i kill him"

Which is why I have strict role playing rules.

Sorry for any typos in advance.

---Rusty

Sound of Azure said:
I sometimes think that the word hero gets bandied around far too much in the modern era in real life. These people given that title are often remarkable, excellent people who have my respect... but do not fit my conception of "Hero".
Just look it up in the dictionary and see how many definitions of "hero" are there. I tend to gravitate to the classic definition - a protagonist who is superior, brave, and influential beyond that of a normal person. Not divine, but certainly best-of-the-best for whatever reason it is that they become notorious. Heroes are NOT unsung. Heroes are NOT unknown. Heroes are NEVER common (though they might start out that way). Heroes make BIG impacts and everyone knows who they are.
What makes a character "Heroic" in your games? Is there any difference between a common adventurer and a hero?
Undeniably so. Anyone can be an adventurer, heroes are a rare breed. Since my games always focus on the exploits of the PC's, the PC's are certainly predisposed to be heroes.
Does being a PC automatically make them a Heroic protagonist who we can admire and understand?
Campaign events and player choices determine if they ever really are, but definitely ALL PC's are prime hero material. They are all, by definition, beyond the norm. Whether the character concept intends it or not the PC's WILL be thrown into events and situations that will be noticed and remembered because of what the PC's did (or didn't!) do. Those events and the PC's actions will have ever-widening impacts as the campaign progresses. PC's can avoid being truly heroic, but they'll likely have to try in order to accomplish that. Usually the result will be a PC becoming villianous.

Why play such a character? Because D&D is constructed expressly for the purpose of portraying such characters. Doesn't HAVE to, but that's what it was intended for and IMO always will be.

MoogleEmpMog

First Post
I always think of the word hero in the classic, Homeric sense: 'heroic' is a measure of greatness (which is, itself, a measure of prowess, notoriety and impact, not just one of the above), and is not a measure of morality. A hero surpasses ordinary men; there is no question that he is not their equal. He is grander, more spectacular, more powerful, more IMPORTANT. When he's good, he's unmeasurably better, and when he's bad, he's unfathomably worse - and he may, in the course of his heroic career, be both. He saves thousands from death and sends as many to their doom. His life is larger than life, and in death he will live forever in the memory of his deeds.

Truth be told, this isn't the kind of character I like to play, and if I did want to, I'd definitely use Exalted for it. In D&D, I prefer a powerful, better than the norm protagonist who may have the power of a capital-H Hero but doesn't have the 'tude. Most of my PCs fall into the "hard-bitten mercenary who doesn't have a heart of gold but does, at least, sometimes let it be known he has a heart," Black Company style. They like to keep a low profile with the general populace, and let prospective employers know just enough to whet their appetites; being widely known means people who can reasonably expect to take you out will be gunning for you.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads