• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What Prereqs for a Reach > Close feat?

Dirigible

Explorer
What prerequisites would be fair for a feat that lets you attack an adjacent square with a reach weapon? I was thinking some combination of a BAB minimum, Weapon Focus and Combat Expertise.

I suspect such a feat may already exist in the d20 literature, but if so, I don't know where.

Ferrix

Explorer
It really shouldn't be a feat that is exceptionally difficult to get, since if you had really wanted you could have taken EWP: Spiked chain and done exactly that.

So, BAB +1, one other feat, and I'd have it work with any reach weapon.

farscapesg1

First Post
There is a feat in Dragon Magazine issue 331 called Shorten Grip. It allows you to use a polearm that normally have a 10 foot reach to be used to attack opponents within 5 foot. There are no pre-requisites, but you suffer a -2 penalty to attacks for the awkwardness of holding the shaft closer to the middle. The only pole arm that it doesn't work with is the awl pike.

in Arms and Armor of the Stone Age there are three semi-reach weapons. Like the bastard sword, they are exotic weapons, but can be used in a limited way as martial weapons if the user doesn't have the exotic weapon feat. Without the Exotic Weapon feat, the weapon functions as a normal reach weapon. However, if the user does have the Exotic Weapon feat, he can attack adjacent foes as well as those that are 10 feet away.

Dirigible

Explorer
There is a feat in Dragon Magazine issue 331 called Shorten Grip.

Hmm. That seems pretty fair. It didn't occur to me that the advantage of being able to strike adjacently would be worth such a penalty, but it looks balanced.

Remove ads