• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What questions to ask your players as a DM during character creation

RedTonic

First Post
We've found the distinction usually more pertinent in our pbp games :) It's sort of a "inner you" versus "persona" issue. (And wouldn't you know it, but we're going to play a Persona game, too.)

Greg K

Legend
It, really, depends upon the genre. If I am running, a fantasy world, there are additional questions that I ask that I will not ask for a game set in our modern world.

For fantasy
Before the players ever roll dice or spend points, I want to know the following:
1. Did you read the setting overview? This contains a few sentences about each of the deities, races and their culture(s), nations and available classes.
2. Did you read the overview on the individual culture(s) and nations that you thought you might like you character to be from based upon the setting overview? (if you have seen the RMSS culture sheets (e.g., urban man, common man, dwarf), they look something like that with some specific recent events, local knowledge/region lore thrown in.
3. Did you read the notes about your class--especially, if you are an arcane or divine caster? This is where you find class variants, specific notes tailored by deity for divine casters, the major wizards and wizard schools, banned or modified spells etc.
4. (any genre): Tell me about your concept
5. Where did your character grow up (culture, nation, environment (city, town, rural) for cultures/nations with multiple options?
6. Who trained them?
7. What were you doing before the campaign started?
8. Why are you adventuring and what do you hope to achieve?
9. Who are important NPCs (family, lover, rivals, enemies, mentor) and/or organizations to which the character has ties? What are your relationships with them like?

Remove ads