D&D 5E What should I play? Don't know very many UA/HB builds.

So my DM is allowing Hombrew and UA classes. My party consists of a Warlock, Monk, Ranger, Barb-dip Druid, Artificer and some sort of Assassin class that I'm assuming will fill most of the Rogue responsibilities. My rolled stats are 18,17,15,13,10,10. What should I play?

Stattick

Explorer
Straight classed Hobgoblin Abjuration Wizard. Tank for the party if you need to, with your ridiculous AC (made more so when you cast Shield) and high HP. Seriously, you'll have the AC of a Dex Fighter or Eldrich Knight, AND full spell caster progression. Counterspell, smack people with your sword if they irritate you, or if you're getting serious, lay down hell with your spells. Put that 17 on Int, 18 on Con, and 15 on Dex, so you start 1st lvl with an 18 Int, 20 Con, and 15 Dex (will become 16 w/ your first ASI).

ASIs: Moderately Armored (+1 Dex), +2 Int, Warcaster, Shield Training (UA, but will probably be updated in Tasha's... but only take if it still lets you use your shield as an arcane focus - lets you always have a weapon in hand and shield on your arm when you're in combat, without having to juggle stuff to cast) OR Resilient (Con) OR Spell Sniper, Lucky OR Shield Mastery (since you always have a shield on your arm, lets you cut damage from AOE spells AND you can knock opponents back and prone them, but only if you bash them with a weapon instead of blasting them with a spell).

There's a full write-up at the link below. I made a few different Feat recommendations or alternatives. Pick what you like, any way you cut it, you're going to be crazy effective as long as you are good at being a wizard. Recommended: always keep in mind the spells that you can cast as a Reaction, they can be life-savers - Absorb Elements, Shield, Feather Fall, Counterspell, Soul Cage.

The main reason I recommended this build, is that your party doesn't have a wizard, so it's not just a niche you can fill, but one can fill with this build and not be the weakling wizard that's always paranoid about being taken out in two hits.

Also, don't forget to grab an owl familiar - if you do have to fall back on getting stabby with your rapier (Hobgoblins get two free weapon proficiencies, and rapier should be one of them), use the familiar to get advantage on the attacks.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
Straight classed Hobgoblin Abjuration Wizard. Tank for the party if you need to, with your ridiculous AC (made more so when you cast Shield) and high HP. Seriously, you'll have the AC of a Dex Fighter or Eldrich Knight, AND full spell caster progression. Counterspell, smack people with your sword if they irritate you, or if you're getting serious, lay down hell with your spells. Put that 17 on Int, 18 on Con, and 15 on Dex, so you start 1st lvl with an 18 Int, 20 Con, and 15 Dex (will become 16 w/ your first ASI).

ASIs: Moderately Armored (+1 Dex), +2 Int, Warcaster, Shield Training (UA, but will probably be updated in Tasha's... but only take if it still lets you use your shield as an arcane focus - lets you always have a weapon in hand and shield on your arm when you're in combat, without having to juggle stuff to cast) OR Resilient (Con) OR Spell Sniper, Lucky OR Shield Mastery (since you always have a shield on your arm, lets you cut damage from AOE spells AND you can knock opponents back and prone them, but only if you bash them with a weapon instead of blasting them with a spell).

There's a full write-up at the link below. I made a few different Feat recommendations or alternatives. Pick what you like, any way you cut it, you're going to be crazy effective as long as you are good at being a wizard. Recommended: always keep in mind the spells that you can cast as a Reaction, they can be life-savers - Absorb Elements, Shield, Feather Fall, Counterspell, Soul Cage.

The main reason I recommended this build, is that your party doesn't have a wizard, so it's not just a niche you can fill, but one can fill with this build and not be the weakling wizard that's always paranoid about being taken out in two hits.

Also, don't forget to grab an owl familiar - if you do have to fall back on getting stabby with your rapier (Hobgoblins get two free weapon proficiencies, and rapier should be one of them), use the familiar to get advantage on the attacks.

This was a ridiculously well-considered suggestion, and I love every word of it.

Remove ads