D&D General What Sort Of Dragon Would Live Here?

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
That's bronze dragons.
It would seem both are true. Gold dragons do also breathe underwater and, like bronzes, are good swimmers (the only metallics that have a swim speed in 3e). But bronze dragons are the ones known for having aquatic lair entrances; golds will apparently lair most anywhere, but usually somewhere fairly picturesque.

Zardnaar

Legend
Don't follow you.

An Axe Beak IS Challenge Rating 1/4 and that's the animal mentioned in the earlier post for a Moa "turned up to 11".

I did wonder how using an Axe Beak's stats would result in an animal that's more powerful than a normal Large Moa, since presumably an "up to 11" version would be a bit better than the realistic version.

Also, I'd think most Moa would be less than CR 1/4 since only the two biggest species would have reached Large in D&D terms, and possibly only particularly well grown specimens of those. Which is why I specified "a Large sized Moa in 5E mechanical terms" in the earlier post instead of just "a Moa."

An average Moa would likely be a Medium or Small animal with stats similar to a Deer or Sheep. Would suggest using an Ostrich, Rhea or Emu, but I don't think those have official stats in 5E D&D.

It'd probably be a Challenge 0 creature whose role is a background prey animal for characters & predatory monsters to hunt.

Derp think I confused axebeaks with CR 2 dinosaur.

Axebeaks stats would ve generous. CR 1/8 maybe with a kick attack at best.

Comment about snakes hot me thinking about Yuan Ti. Could be intruders up north pet sea snakes or introducing them offending Druids?

Cleon

Legend
Derp think I confused axebeaks with CR 2 dinosaur.

The first candidate for a Challenge 2 Dinosaur that springs to mind is an Allosaurus.

Would agree that'd be turning a Moa "up to 11" if not higher!

Axebeaks stats would ve generous. CR 1/8 maybe with a kick attack at best.

As I said earlier, I'd be OK using Axe Beak stats for one of the two species of Giant Moa (the 500+ pound ones that might have gone up to 12 feet high) only with the Beak action changed to a Kick.

Although upon reflection, they probably wouldn't have been as fast as an Axebeak, so I'd probably cut the Speed to 30 ft. or 40 ft.

For a regular Moa, CR 1/8 or so would match what I had in mind. Something like this would do:

Moa
Medium beast, unaligned
Armor Class 10
Hit Points 11 (2d8 + 2)
Speed 30 ft.

STR​
DEX​
CON​
INT​
WIS​
CHA​
11 (+0)​
10 (+0)​
12 (+1)​
2 (–4)​
11 (+0)​
5 (–3)​
Senses passive Perception 10
Languages
Challenge 1/8 (25 XP) Proficiency Bonus +2

Actions

Kick. Melee Weapon Attack: +2 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 3 (1d6) slashing damage.

Zardnaar

Legend
The first candidate for a Challenge 2 Dinosaur that springs to mind is an Allosaurus.

Would agree that'd be turning a Moa "up to 11" if not higher!

As I said earlier, I'd be OK using Axe Beak stats for one of the two species of Giant Moa (the 500+ pound ones that might have gone up to 12 feet high) only with the Beak action changed to a Kick.

Although upon reflection, they probably wouldn't have been as fast as an Axebeak, so I'd probably cut the Speed to 30 ft. or 40 ft.

For a regular Moa, CR 1/8 or so would match what I had in mind. Something like this would do:

Moa
Medium beast, unaligned
Armor Class 10
Hit Points 11 (2d8 + 2)
Speed 30 ft.

STR​
DEX​
CON​
INT​
WIS​
CHA​
11 (+0)​
10 (+0)​
12 (+1)​
2 (–4)​
11 (+0)​
5 (–3)​
Senses passive Perception 10
Languages
Challenge 1/8 (25 XP) Proficiency Bonus +2

Actions

Kick. Melee Weapon Attack: +2 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 3 (1d6) slashing damage.

Something like that yup. Reflecting axebeak coukd work aka turn up to 11.

Remove ads