What TTRPGs have the best tactical combat rules?

That's fair, but I'd argue in most of those, that's because the battlespace is often relatively shapeless; what I mean by that is, barring atolls or asteroid belts, a lot of sea/space maps are not meaningfully different from others, so the sliding map only had minimal effect (note the qualification here, but even ones with some interruptive terrain are often far simpler than land battlespaces).
Usually accurate, barring the presence of coastlines, islands, reefs or actual river banks. Not uncommon to see some space terrain too, although it's often very sparse - a lone planet or debris field, for ex. Experience with Full Thrust, Battlefleet Gothic and Dropfleet Commander has made me a big proponent of sticking more features on the table for space games, no matter how unrealistic they may be. Minis games are meant to be visually striking, and even the best starfield mat doesn't do it for me.

Thomas Shey

Legend
Usually accurate, barring the presence of coastlines, islands, reefs or actual river banks. Not uncommon to see some space terrain too, although it's often very sparse - a lone planet or debris field, for ex. Experience with Full Thrust, Battlefleet Gothic and Dropfleet Commander has made me a big proponent of sticking more features on the table for space games, no matter how unrealistic they may be. Minis games are meant to be visually striking, and even the best starfield mat doesn't do it for me.

Sure, there's bound to be some exceptions. But as I said, even when there are exceptions, most such maps are still far simpler in terms of what the terrain can mean than land battlemaps, and even land battlemaps in wargames (with a few very standout exceptions which are not games anyone would call low-crunch) the effects of terrain are far more limited.

Simpler RPGs with any tactical depth pretty much inevitably do so by offloading producing that strongly on the GMs part.

Remove ads