• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Wheel of Time Series on Amazon (spoilers)

Blue Orange

Gone to Texas
I avoided the book series because I was afraid the guy would die before finishing (and, sadly, he did). Is it worth going back for?

Last edited:

I avoided the book series because I was afraid the guy would die before finishing (and, sadly, he did). Is it worth going back for?
Yes, though I recommend skipping say books 7-9 or so 'cause they get really slow. Nynaeve sniffs, taps her foot, looks down her nose

Brandon Sanderson did a great job IMO wrapping up the series pretty quickly in novels 11-13. He was a great selection to close the series.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I picked up the first book back in undergrad days back near '90. I had re-read the series several times as new books were coming out. And then I stopped for a long time. I finally a few years back bought the remaining books and read the whole thing.

I'm glad I did it, having really enjoyed the early books.

But. It was a slog.

Book #4 was my favorite. Some of the middle books did things like park one of my favorite characters with no growth or plot advancement for several of those oversized books. And it was an ensemble cast that kept on growing, seemingly because a character seemed interesting and not to serve the story. And as much as Sanderson can write, I don't feel "got" some of the characters.

I'm donating the books to a friend. They are worth reading once for the grand scale - as long as you are willing to put in the effort. I think it was 4.4 million words. And knowing the middle drags. But it's an epic tale.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I picked up the first book back in undergrad days back near '90. I had re-read the series several times as new books were coming out. And then I stopped for a long time. I finally a few years back bought the remaining books and read the whole thing.

I'm glad I did it, having really enjoyed the early books.

But. It was a slog.

Book #4 was my favorite. Some of the middle books did things like park one of my favorite characters with no growth or plot advancement for several of those oversized books. And it was an ensemble cast that kept on growing, seemingly because a character seemed interesting and not to serve the story. And as much as Sanderson can write, I don't feel "got" some of the characters.

I'm donating the books to a friend. They are worth reading once for the grand scale - as long as you are willing to put in the effort. I think it was 4.4 million words. And knowing the middle drags. But it's an epic tale.
I really liked books 1-6. 7-9 dragged on and didn't seem to have any clear purpose. They were a ton of words and action that moved the plot about 3 inches. At book 10 it picked back up and became good again, finishing strong.

Hussar

Legend
Just finished watching the first three eps. I never read any of the books, so, I'm coming in without any foreknowledge. I'd say it's pretty good. Acting is decent, sets are gorgeous, story seems to be moving along pretty quickly. I'd certainly recommend it. Not exactly earth shattering but, certainly watchable. So far, at least, it's pretty standard fantasy fare really.

Remove ads