D&D 5E Would anyone be interested in helping me brainstorm my next session?

Meech17

Adventurer
The Story so Far:
My party consists of a Half Orc Paladin, a Wood Elf Ranger, a Tabaxi Barbarian, a Gnome Sorcerer, and a Halfling Wizard, all of third level. The Wizard is likely to be a no-show due to some family issues. She may attend, but she hasn't confirmed yet, and I'm assuming she wont. We're playing in a homebrew setting that is largely based off the Forgotten Realms. The party is chasing after piecemeal macguffins, and last session I introduced them to a mercenary crew that beat them to the item they were hunting for, and did some crimes along the way. The party is now set on pursuing these mercenaries. I should have expected this, but I wasn't prepared for them to be so gung-ho. I laid it on pretty thick about how the mercs outnumbered them, and were better equipped. I incorrectly assumed they'd have wanted to get stronger first.​

The Current Plan:
The last session was one that the party was able to overcome with a combination of stealth and roleplay rather than combat, and they expressed that they really liked that, so I'd like to give them another good session where they don't have to fight their way to the answer.​
I expressed to them that the mercenaries are well equipped, including horses. So realistically I could tell the party they just weren't able to keep up with them. With that said, I feel like that would be un-fun and anti-climatic. So I was thinking about describing the party as having spent the last week or so traveling from village to village following up on leads, knowing that they're always a day or two behind the mercs, and the gap is only growing. I'd have the session start with them entering a new town and getting a lucky break. The majority of the Mercenaries have continued forward, but a small squad, maybe two or three lower level individuals stayed behind to handle light work. Maybe the strong start to the session can be they arrive in town as everyone is gathered in the town square for a large public execution or perhaps just arrest of a wanted criminal, at the hands of the merc squad, putting the mercenaries in a position of higher standing with the town.​
Ideally I'd hope my players would try a diplomatic approach. They have only met with this group once so far, and the meeting was amicable, so there's no reason for it to be a fight on sight. Not from Merc's point of view anyway. My hope is that maybe they will try to get into the good graces of these guys to get more information on the company as a whole, and the squad will set them out to do some dirty work for them as a way to build trust.​
What I've got:
So far the only mission I came up with was insurance fraud: A merchant wants to make a bad investment disappear so he can cash in on an insurance policy. He's hired to Mercenaries to rob his caravan and take off with the loot. This will put the party in a position where perhaps the mercenaries don't explicitly order them to kill anyone, but heavily insist that the wagon driver shouldn't survive.​
I was hoping to come up with a few more missions so I can lay them out in front of the party and let them pick. I figured it might be fun to do one or two of them if time allows.​
How I Intend to Move Forward:
I think I want to run a modified version of the Sunlit Citadel next. A big multilayer dungeon with two warring factions. I can replace the family signet ring that is the default macguffin of that adventure with the one from my game, and say that the reason the Mercenary Goons were left behind in this town to await the return of the person in possession of it. After they do these jobs for the mercs, and earn their trust they can spill the beans about it, and say the person never returned, and they need to party to go with them into the dungeon.​
So this is what I've got, and I'd love your guys' opinions. I know there's a lot of great DMs on this forum and I have gotten great ideas from you guys in the past. I'd especially like idea for more missions for the goons to send the party on.​
Thanks in advance.​

Last edited:

Stormonu

Legend
Perhaps the mercenaries that stayed behind are well-known in the current village, perhaps being formerly from the village? The mercs lay over a couple of days, and their stature is such that they get asked to do a little policing for the village, cleaning up some issues in town. They have enough status that it would be bad for the PCs to move directly against the mercenaries, unless the merc's bad side was exposed first. Fortunately, the mercenaries aren't that great at protecting their reputation and with some work the PCs can expose them. But doing so risks the PCs falling further behind.

1) The mercenaries partied a little too hard at the local inn. They busted up some furniture that they won't pay for and incarcerated a couple of folks they had a brawl with, whom they intend to incarcerate until the villagers pay the fine. The PCs have the opportunity to gain the gratitude of the innkeeper if the party can get the mercenaries to pay to replace what they broke, and the townsfolk might have some dirt on the other mercenaries if the PCs get them free or pay the fine somehow.

2) The issue with the merchant from above. A third party overheard the discussion, but is too afraid to confront the mercenaries directly. If the PCs will save the goods from being stolen, they learn about a hidey-hole the mercenaries return to often, which they might be able to use for a future ambush....

3) There is a local wizard in town, and the mercenaries bought some items off the wizard that is empowering their fast travel. However, they shorted the wizard in that part of the payment was with fake coins. He's miffed, and he'd love to make an example of the individuals in town, but they've been evading him. If the party can round them up, he'll deal with them and the PCs might get some information and perhaps an opportunity to slow down/catch up with the rest of the mercenaries.

4) One of the mercenaries is in love with a local girl, but has a rival for her affection. He'd be willing to trade some information if the party helps against the rival, or if the party helps the rival, they might lead the mercenary alone into a trap and be able to grill him for information.

Meech17

Adventurer
Perhaps the mercenaries that stayed behind are well-known in the current village, perhaps being formerly from the village? The mercs lay over a couple of days, and their stature is such that they get asked to do a little policing for the village, cleaning up some issues in town. They have enough status that it would be bad for the PCs to move directly against the mercenaries, unless the merc's bad side was exposed first. Fortunately, the mercenaries aren't that great at protecting their reputation and with some work the PCs can expose them. But doing so risks the PCs falling further behind.
I like this idea. While my party isn't the type to shoot first and ask questions later, I was a little worried about them potentially just jumping the goons for a chance at the information. Make one or all of them from the village is a good idea.
1) The mercenaries partied a little too hard at the local inn. They busted up some furniture that they won't pay for and incarcerated a couple of folks they had a brawl with, whom they intend to incarcerate until the villagers pay the fine. The PCs have the opportunity to gain the gratitude of the innkeeper if the party can get the mercenaries to pay to replace what they broke, and the townsfolk might have some dirt on the other mercenaries if the PCs get them free or pay the fine somehow.
Also a good idea. That could be our strong start. Maybe the other side of the brawl is stuck in some stockades and are being made fools of by the goons.
2) The issue with the merchant from above. A third party overheard the discussion, but is too afraid to confront the mercenaries directly. If the PCs will save the goods from being stolen, they learn about a hidey-hole the mercenaries return to often, which they might be able to use for a future ambush....
Also the idea that there are a lot of people in the town who aren't fans of the Mercs but are too afraid to work against them. Maybe one of them is the son of a wealthy individual in town. Maybe the merchant in question.
3) There is a local wizard in town, and the mercenaries bought some items off the wizard that is empowering their fast travel. However, they shorted the wizard in that part of the payment was with fake coins. He's miffed, and he'd love to make an example of the individuals in town, but they've been evading him. If the party can round them up, he'll deal with them and the PCs might get some information and perhaps an opportunity to slow down/catch up with the rest of the mercenaries.
With idea one I was thinking of perhaps changing tavern owner to a Ferrier or something along those lines. In exchange for help the PCs could be rewarded with horses of their own to help them catch up.
4) One of the mercenaries is in love with a local girl, but has a rival for her affection. He'd be willing to trade some information if the party helps against the rival, or if the party helps the rival, they might lead the mercenary alone into a trap and be able to grill him for information.
This is fun too.

Thank you for the advice! You were very helpful in my last thread as well, so I'm glad you commented again. I haven't read it yet, but I did get myself a pdf copy of Dungeon 78 and intend on reading The Winter Tapestry.

aco175

Legend
You can blindfold them and try to take their weapons away (which may not work like surrendering). Another thought is to have a monster fight come along and the PCs need to help them out. Have the mercs reward the party and show them that they are not that bad. Or, have the mercs abandon them to fight alone and say it was a test if they survive and come looking for revenge.

Meech17

Adventurer
You can blindfold them and try to take their weapons away (which may not work like surrendering). Another thought is to have a monster fight come along and the PCs need to help them out. Have the mercs reward the party and show them that they are not that bad. Or, have the mercs abandon them to fight alone and say it was a test if they survive and come looking for revenge.
I can see this. A fight breaks out and the mercs all make a break for it, leaving the party hanging. I was also thinking of perhaps a double cross in the middle of a dungeon. Maybe the mercs can be comfortable giving out some sensitive information because they know they plan on killing the PCs. Plus I can leave some more clues on them as loot.

Stormonu

Legend
I can see this. A fight breaks out and the mercs all make a break for it, leaving the party hanging. I was also thinking of perhaps a double cross in the middle of a dungeon. Maybe the mercs can be comfortable giving out some sensitive information because they know they plan on killing the PCs. Plus I can leave some more clues on them as loot.
If you're going that route, don't forget the idea of a plant - an NPC whose actually working for the mercs but joins the player's party to spy on them until found out or leads them into an ambush, all the while pretending to be on the party's side. (Personally, I've seen this cliche too much in old D&D, but it's a common enough trope).

Meech17

Adventurer
If you're going that route, don't forget the idea of a plant - an NPC whose actually working for the mercs but joins the player's party to spy on them until found out or leads them into an ambush, all the while pretending to be on the party's side. (Personally, I've seen this cliche too much in old D&D, but it's a common enough trope).
This is great. My party is made up of mostly new players, so old tropes are all uncharted territory for them!

Remove ads