wtf a car running at 30 km/h ( 20 mph ) is fast ??

le Redoutable

Ich bin El Glouglou :)
so it's hard to follow when you're running after ?
( 36 km/h ===> roughly 10 m/s i.e. a moderate athlet )
champions run at what? 11m/s ? that means 40 km/h ?
???

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
“Fast“ is a relative term.

30km/h isn’t fast for a car, but only elite athletes can touch that speed when running.

Zardnaar

Legend
“Fast“ is a relative term.

30km/h isn’t fast for a car, but only elite athletes can touch that speed when running.

This. Normal people could probably come close short distance eg 100m sprint. 12 seconds to run 100m is far from elite athelete.

Elite athelete to sustain it though eg running beside a car.

Stalker0

Legend
For context, the absolute fastest a human has ever run (Usain Bolt) was 44.72 Km/hr (or 27.8 mph). And that was only for a very short time, during that very same race, Usain's average was 37.58 km/hr

le Redoutable

Ich bin El Glouglou :)
that's it ! athlets tend to run the fastest that they can in lieu of using acceleration/deceleration, according to fatigue points expenditure...

hey! that reminds me of a thing that revealed to me this afternoon : you use 2d20, either taking the high die to accomplish your goal easier, or the lower die and recover one fatigue point .
:)

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
For context, the absolute fastest a human has ever run (Usain Bolt) was 44.72 Km/hr (or 27.8 mph). And that was only for a very short time, during that very same race, Usain's average was 37.58 km/hr
For comparison, the fastest speed recorded by an NFL player in a game (IOW, wearing pads, etc.) was 23.24MPH. The average speed for a base runner in MLB is a touch under 19MPH, and the record for the 2021 season was 20.93MPH.

Last edited:

For comparison, the fastest speed recorded by an NFL player in a game (IOW, wearing pads, etc.) was 23.24MPH. The average speed for a base runner in MLB is a touch under 19MPH, and the record for the 2021 season was 20.93MPH.
I always remind myself of this comparison when thinking about how bad it can be to get hit by a car even at very "slow" speeds.

People have career ending injuries in football from a tackle by a 200 lb NFL linebacker (made of flesh and bone). Multiply mass by 10 and make it out of metal and various hard plastics...and I'll take a pass on that collision thanks.

Remove ads