Xbox Series X (or S if you get that instead).

GreyLord

Legend
So, I got lucky. Was the first one in line at the store today and managed to get the first one sold in our town at around 7:30 AM (well, at that store at least, perhaps other stores had it as well) perhaps to the great chagrin of others in the line. There were more in line than I think there were Xbox series X/S so...I left quickly so I didn't get mugged by those who might not get one.

Went home, opened it up...and it says...I have to have an APP to set it up? That I need to set it up via my phone?? I was not too happy about that thought, as Microsoft already has an account for me (minus my phone number) and I'm not too fond of giving them more information then they already have. Sure, I have my games and stuff there, but I value them less than my phone number. If my account ever got hacked...well...that would just give them one more bit of information about me that I'd rather them not have. Luckily, the Xbox connected to the internet just fine (I hooked it up hardwire with an ethernet cable instead of depending that I'd be able to set up a wireless internet...it never asked me about wireless...perhaps because it had the ethernet cable...so unsure if it has that option or if you need to do it all by phone app if you don't hook it up physically with a physical connection). It let me set it up via the Xbox itself...but at first I wasn't too thrilled about needing to have to set it up with EXTRA items beyond just the Xbox (for example, how do they even know I have a cell phone that has data or internet access with apps in the first place? Or that I'm in an area with good cell phone and data reception?). Luckily, as long as you have a physical connection it doesn't require you to have the app (you still need an account).

It updated...and then the rudest part of it all. It turns itself off and back on and then says I need to turn my controller on. NO problem I think, this is easy. It then asks me to press A...and so I do...and then...WHAM.

Right after I press A it says I need to keep the controller absolutely motionless as it updates my controller. Like...if I had known this I'd have simply put the controller down and pressed A while it was on a table or something...instead...I'm sitting there trying to hold it as still as I possibly can. It's not quick...it seems to take forever. Worst part of the set up.

Next, it starts going through privacy settings. You cannot opt out of having them farm your xbox for data, though you have at least one option to not let them use EVERYTHING...they still make you accept allowing them using your data you give them if you want to use your new Xbox Series X.

Finally, everything was set up. I went to my library...ALL my games from the Xbox, Xbox 360, and Xbox One that were available under the Xbox One are there and available for download. Currently downloading them (going to fill up almost a terrabyte today...so I'm going to be trying to get an expansion drive). I put in a disc as well, seems as if the discs for Xbox One work and there seems (or appears that way, haven't tried all the games) to be backwards compatibility for all the games that worked on Xbox One to work on the Series X as well!

Here's to hoping others get their Xboxes (or PS5's later this week if that's your thing). I'm not sure if the Xbox thing is going to work with the GDPR or not in Europe. With them (MS) more than willing to use the data whether I want to or not it has me considering maybe switching at a later date for the PS if it isn't as intrusive with privacy...but at least for now, I'm with the Xbox.

So, here's to those who also are in the pipeline for these releases this week (and upcoming weeks for other nations).

Zardnaar

Legend
I'm not getting either one any time soon.

Never buy a new console for n release. You pay a lot for them and release games tend to suck.

An exception might be for a must have game like Zelda in the switch.

Very few games must have nowdays. GTA6 would do it.

The Xbox is my pick though. Probably wait a year get PS5 after that.

Went home, opened it up...and it says...I have to have an APP to set it up? That I need to set it up via my phone?? I was not too happy about that thought, as Microsoft already has an account for me (minus my phone number) and I'm not too fond of giving them more information then they already have. Sure, I have my games and stuff there, but I value them less than my phone number. If my account ever got hacked...well...that would just give them one more bit of information about me that I'd rather them not have. Luckily, the Xbox connected to the internet just fine (I hooked it up hardwire with an ethernet cable instead of depending that I'd be able to set up a wireless internet...it never asked me about wireless...perhaps because it had the ethernet cable...so unsure if it has that option or if you need to do it all by phone app if you don't hook it up physically with a physical connection). It let me set it up via the Xbox itself...but at first I wasn't too thrilled about needing to have to set it up with EXTRA items beyond just the Xbox (for example, how do they even know I have a cell phone that has data or internet access with apps in the first place? Or that I'm in an area with good cell phone and data reception?). Luckily, as long as you have a physical connection it doesn't require you to have the app (you still need an account).

This is why I still buy most of my games in physical format. Even when it costs me more (i.e. Limited Run Games). This isn't an XBox specific problem, and the only solution is to cut the internet connection altogether.

Remove ads