XP for Time (or collective advancement)

Should characters receive xp for time spent?

• ...18 months

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ...24 months

• ... every approved character (posting or not)

• Other... _____

Graf

Explorer
Strident voices have been raised by elder statesmen to the effect that time for xp has not received the consideration it's due and/or that my poll was sucktacular.
In consideration of the fact that the latter is certainly true, in a new, expanded format we offer you YAFP (Yet Another ******* Poll)

Should characters receive xp for time?

Sayth one current Living judge:
stonegod said:
W/o time XP, PC advancement is going to crawl (as I've stated multiple times). Without a sense of advancement, PCs will abandon the game (happens in Living and non-Living PbPs all the time).
(There are better longer explanations of his opinion elsewhere... but this one really won on brevity...)

I believe he or someone else (Bront?) suggested that this also helped characters who were trapped in slow moving games.

[d]--[/d]

No, I disagree with the stone god, there shall be no unearned xp in L4W
It is dark... you will likely be eaten by something from Kyber...
Yes... characters should gain xp equivalent to a bonus level every... 3 months
... 6 months
... 9 months
... 12 months
...18 months
....24 months

XP shall be given to ... only characters who adventure during that month
you'll be wanting to get into and stay in a game​
... every adventuring character and every character who's posted in the tavern
you get to rise provided you puts in your effort
... every approved character (posting or not)
The rising tide raises all boats
Other... _____
This selection will also be interpreted as "you idjut... you messed up the poll .... AGAIN! " ;)

covaithe

Explorer
It looks like we're in exact agreement on this, Graf. :)

For reference, in case anyone doesn't have this information handy, LEW's time xp (and LEB's?) is equivalent to one level in 20 months. I voted for 12 months here, since I think there's room for some slightly quicker advancement without interfering with the core mechanic. In a properly run game, actual xp for encounters will still greatly outweigh time xp, but in a game that's dragging, 20 months is a long, long time. Yes, I speak from experience. :erm:

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Every 12-18 mo. seems about right. Characters should get XP in addys (it can be a bummer to sit around, but that's usually good incentives for a DM to start and earn some DM points). I've generally seen it prorated for addys as well: If a PC starts the game but drops out, they only get the time XP for when they posted consistently (RL happens and people do rejoin, they just don't get the "absence" XP if their gone a *long* time).

Graf

Explorer
Yay for agreement!

stonegod said:
I've generally seen it prorated for addys as well
My presumption was that this is how it would be.... I mean... if you've dropped from the adventure then you're not playing.

Phoenix8008

First Post
I voted for 9 months and 12 months because I could go either way. I think having it quicker than LEW's 20 months seems better, especially with levels 1-30 in core to be explored. I wouldn't mind seeing some higher level PC's sooner than it happens in LEW. I voted for DM points to be at a rate of 1 level/6 months so I would want the character XP for time to be slower than that so DM's are still encouraged.

I also voted for only characters in adventures getting the XP for time though I admit to being tempted to allow people posting in the Inn to get something as well. I remember some of the dry times between adventures and earning a little XP would have taken the sting out some and encouraged me to post IC more often instead of just going quiet and waiting for an adventure.

Bront

The man with the probe
I didn't vote for a specific amount, but I didn't think 1/20 months was bad for LEW/LEB. I also don't think you should get any unless you're actualy in the adventure. Posting in the tavern makes for odd problems like "I have 2 characters not in and adventure, so how do I get both to post?", as well as requring a judge to monitor, count, and award points for the tavern, which should just be an place to RP and chat.

I think a flat number that's easy to play with is better, and 50/lv/month works fairly well. 50 is an easy number to play with, and it scales up per level (up to a point). If you wanted to increase the rate a little bit, perhaps 100/lv/month might work (I think the XP table changed a bit in 4E too, so this might fit in with the 1/year option, or pretty close at least). Either way, it's a simple number that makes math simple (and simple is good).

The other point, is that at some point, I think time XP should slow down, particularly towards the upper levels. This is why LEB and LEW have it stop increasing at level 8 (I would suggest Level 10 for Living 4th, as that's a natural breaking point).

Keep in mind, that you are getting awards for actualy playing as well. Time Xp is supposed to augment your character so he levels up a bit more in the slow pace of PbP, not launch your character into the high levels easily. If simply due to time XP, I can earn a level in 3 months, that doesn't encourage me to do a lot in adventures, as I don't realy need the added XP.

Remove ads