D&D General Younger Players Telling Us how Old School Gamers Played

Thomas Shey

Legend
Player choice of how to assign % points to a thief didn't start until 2e. Prior to 2e, your skills were all level based with no player choice on how good you were with each. But even in 2e, all thieves had a base value in all of their skills.

Thanks for the correction. I apparently retro-conflated this since I hadn't looked at either version in, well, a very long time; I was so sure of it I just went back and checked Greyhawk and you're absolutely correct. (I'd also forgotten how really terrible they were at their skills until about 7th level...)

Sacrosanct

Legend
Thanks for the correction. I apparently retro-conflated this since I hadn't looked at either version in, well, a very long time; I was so sure of it I just went back and checked Greyhawk and you're absolutely correct. (I'd also forgotten how really terrible they were at their skills until about 7th level...)
Yep. It's why I always add the caveat: "My favorite edition is 1e, but with some 2e elements, like thief skill progression and the bard class." ;) 2e did it way better, IMO

Remove ads