• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Aasimar, Crafting Rules, and more in Gameinformer Magazine feature

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
Monsters of the Multiverse mentions that the first elves originated in Arborea before migrating to the Feywild, and then later on to the many worlds of the Material Plane. Because of their original mutable nature, each group of elves mystically took on the characteristics of the environment with which they bonded to.

Forests- Wood Elves
Fey Crossings in the Material Plane- High Elves
The Underdark- Drow
The Shadowfell- Shadar-Kai
The Feywild- the Eladrin
The Oceans- Sea Elves
Actually, the Elves continue to take on new forms. There will always be new kinds of Elves coming into existence.

Originally, their mutability was at-will. Now the forms are thematic ambience, like Eladrin shifting appearances seasonally, and all Elves shift variously. They can still become new forms to adapt to a new environment, but it is moreso a community transformation, by implication via mythal.

Actually, the Elves continue to take on new forms. There will always be new kinds of Elves coming into existence.

Originally, their mutability was at-will. Now the forms are thematic ambience, like Eladrin shifting appearances seasonally, and all Elves shift variously. They can still become new forms to adapt to a new environment, but it is moreso a community transformation, by implication via mythal.
Could you see other species with Fey Ancestry such as Gnomes and the Goblinoids sharing a distant ancestor with the elves?

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
Could you see other species with Fey Ancestry such as Gnomes and the Goblinoids sharing a distant ancestor with the elves?
Certainly, the Gnomes and Goblins are Fey. Heh, Goblins are like naughty Gnomes.

Hypothetically, Gnomes are to Elves as Halfings are to Humans.

Elves are shapeshifters. They CHOSE to adopt a Human form. Elves have a kind of fascination with Humans. I explain it as, the Elves foresee Fate, and they know the Fate of multiverse depends on the existence of Humans. The Elves know the Humans are important but cant figure out why.

Elves chose to adopt Human forms. Perhaps Gnomes chose to adopt Halfling forms?

Weiley31

Legend
I am guessing the Aasimar who happen to come from the GCG plane can have animal features if the player wishes.
IIRC, Mulhorand Aasimar and Tieflings have been known to have variants in that region where it's not uncommon for them to have animal heads instead of the normal humanoid type heads found in other regions

IIRC, Mulhorand Aasimar and Tieflings have been known to be variants in that area where it's not uncommon for them to have animal heads instead of the normal humanoid type heads.
Animal-headed Mulhorandi Aasimar and Tieflings were usually the result of having a Mulhorandi deity as one of your ancestors. Some of the more elemental Mulhorandi deities such as Geb had Genasi descendants.

Weiley31

Legend
Man, if there's ONE area 5E needs some decent rules on, it's Crafting.

And I don't mean minor crap crafting. I mean like some ACTUAL rule or something where I can actually make something useful and not an origami paper crane toy .

The 3.5 Artificer and magic mart REALLY scared WoTC into not doing anything serious for it.

I mean look, I'm probably gonna just resort to Cubicle 7's Crafting&Alchemy book once it releases as I'm a backer, but it would be nice for some legit crafting rules.

you can tell this is a 5E Halfling and not a Gnome, and not a Human.
I'm not sure I agree. In fact, I would definitely say that at a glance, I would have called this for a gnome, not a halfling, and only maybe revised that if I looked carefully and noticed the lack of pointed ears. It doesn't have any features I'd classically associate with being a halfling. The only reason you can be certain it's not a human child is she has a face which, uh, gives me "This gal has SEEN some stuff..." (which kinda conflicts with/undermines the "joy").

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I'm not sure I agree. In fact, I would definitely say that at a glance, I would have called this for a gnome, not a halfling, and only maybe revised that if I looked carefully and noticed the lack of pointed ears. It doesn't have any features I'd classically associate with being a halfling. The only reason you can be certain it's not a human child is she has a face which, uh, gives me "This gal has SEEN some stuff..." (which kinda conflicts with/undermines the "joy").
Gnomes have a very specific look in 5E art, very angular and pointy: no soft edges, prominent pointed chins, etc. Halflings are all rounded with a top heavy build.

Remove ads