• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

is the roll and keep system copyrighted?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Was that the 7th Sea game system?

The text they used to describe it is copyrighted. If you copy/pasted that, that would indeed be plagiarism (and copyright violation). The underlying mechanic cannot be, however, so as long as you write it in your own words, you're fine.

*I am not a lawyer and, more importantly, I am not your lawyer

Was that the 7th Sea game system?
L5R too, IIRC. I've seen the same mechanic (albeit with different die sizes) used in indie stuff since, and I doubt AEG originated it in the first place. Like you said, a game mechanic can't be copyrighted, just the specific terminology used to describe an example of it.

WotC probably could have bought Hasbro (and anyone else they wanted) if they'd managed to copyright Magic's tapping mechanics and gotten royalties from most of the CCG boom back in the day. "Turn a card, pay us our cut." :)

kenada

Legend
Supporter
WotC probably could have bought Hasbro (and anyone else they wanted) if they'd managed to copyright Magic's tapping mechanics and gotten royalties from most of the CCG boom back in the day. "Turn a card, pay us our cut." :)

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
The dice mechanic I am constantly thinking of stealing is the Ironsworn/Starforged one. Your roll is d6+a small mod. The target numbers are generated by rolling 2d10s alongside your roll. Beat both: full success. Beat 1: success at cost. Beat neither: suffer the consequences. I love its simplicity and versatility.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
You can't copywrite mechanics, only their presentation, as Morrus said above. There are a lot of cookbooks that take advantage of this ....

You can't copywrite mechanics, only their presentation, as Morrus said above. There are a lot of cookbooks that take advantage of this ....
I think what @kenada is pointing out is that copyright is far from the only IP potentially at issue. There are patents, design patents, trade dress, etc. that can be at issue when discussing something like a game. IMHO this kind of thing is unlikely to be a problem, but I am no more a lawyer than anyone else here. A lot of these things have also probably lapsed for older games, assuming they were ever asserted at all.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
7th Sea Roll and Keep is one of my favorite mechanics. While the mechanic itself isn't copywriteable, the term 'Roll and Keep' might very well be. Not to mention the term 'explode' when you roll a '0' on the d10.

So you might have to come up with your own phrases for both of those mechanics, unless of course AEG doesn't care or exist anymore.

soviet

Hero
Whether it's legally actionable or not, you might also consider how perceptions of plagiarism could influence how your work is received in the marketplace.

Remove ads