• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Long time players and 5e’s success

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
My daughter would rock out to AC/DC's "Highway to Hell" in the car when I was taking her to and from day care over 20 years ago. She's turning 26 next month.
It wasn't really hard to get both my daughters playing RPGs, loving Star Wars and Star Trek, and Lord of the Rings. I read to that to them a lot for bedtime - along with Winnie the Pooh and (sigh) Harry Potter (Rowling may have effed up her legacy going forward but she can't rob me of the pure joy of reading to my kids years ago).
Epic! Haha

My daughter made me play Bark at the Moon and howl with it so much so I was tired of it for years! She would be in her car seat and howl wit me :D

Didn't read the entire thread but just wanted to add my stats for whats worth. I'm 42 and I have bought nearly (didn't buy Ravinca, Acquisition Inc, Strixhaven, and Book of Many Things(only because BAM doesn't have it)) every book that's been published. I also bought a good bit of the dice sets and DM screen kits. I'm not sure if more or less 40 yr olds are buying as much though.

Stormonu

Legend
I'm now in my 50's, but I've lost count of the people I've introduced to D&D and then who have turned around and introduced their friends to D&D as well.

I don't spend a whole lot on WotC products now because frankly they aren't putting out stuff as fast as they did in the past (thank goodness!), but I still buy a fair chunk - for myself, my wife, my kids and sometimes as a gift for my D&D friends.

I'm certainly not keeping the lights on at WotC, but I am contributing to their welfare. I'd rather not have my opinion ignored - I still play, I still buy and for WotC, I'm helping put bread on their table. Make stuff I like, and I'll buy it and talk it up. Maybe others will hear my praise of it and will buy it too.

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
Didn't read the entire thread but just wanted to add my stats for whats worth. I'm 42 and I have bought nearly (didn't buy Ravinca, Acquisition Inc, Strixhaven, and Book of Many Things(only because BAM doesn't have it)) every book that's been published. I also bought a good bit of the dice sets and DM screen kits. I'm not sure if more or less 40 yr olds are buying as much though.
Out of curiosity, do you buy 3rd party books or merch (dice, cards, etc) from non-WotC sources?

Stormonu

Legend
Anyone know how much WOTC makes off of wizkids minis?
No clue, probably 10% to 15%. But it should also be noted Wizkids isn't getting the full MSRP price - there's distributors and merchants in-between them and the end price, so Wizkids might make 1/2 to 1/4 the MSRP price for each item they sell, and then WotC gets its 10% to 15% cut of that.

Still, Wizkids has got to be making enough that they have licenses with Critical Role, Pathfinder and DC and Marvel/Disney, so they're not hurting for money.

Warpiglet-7

No clue, probably 10% to 15%. But it should also be noted Wizkids isn't getting the full MSRP price - there's distributors and merchants in-between them and the end price, so Wizkids might make 1/2 to 1/4 the MSRP price for each item they sell, and then WotC gets its 10% to 15% cut of that.

Still, Wizkids has got to be making enough that they have licenses with Critical Role, Pathfinder and DC and Marvel/Disney, so they're not hurting for money.
No. I was just trying to figure out how much money I ultimately funnel to WOTC…

It’s a lot. I get suckered. Got the miniature ship and cases full of prepainted minis. When I was in high school I bought used books and we had a handful of metal minis.

Importantly, it no less fun with chits of paper…

Stormonu

Legend
This ship, the Fallen Star?
1715829617739.jpeg

I wanted to get that, from what I've seen of it at our FLGS, but I already had a paper ship I put together called the Maiden.

1715829717156.jpeg

Although, for Christmas a year or two back my brother surprised me with the Wizkids Tiamat "miniature". Not something I would have bought for myself, but I'm grateful I got it and it's hopefully going to get use in the Tyranny of Dragons game we are co-running.

Warpiglet-7

This ship, the Fallen Star?
View attachment 363342

I wanted to get that, from what I've seen of it at our FLGS, but I already had a paper ship I put together called the Maiden.

View attachment 363344

Although, for Christmas a year or two back my brother surprised me with the Wizkids Tiamat "miniature". Not something I would have bought for myself, but I'm grateful I got it and it's hopefully going to get use in the Tyranny of Dragons game we are co-running.
Yes I caught it on sale years back!

That aside the paper ship looks very cool!

Remove ads