• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) The D&D Cartoon Heroes In The 2024 PHB

Art by Dmitry Burmak.

IMG_3570.jpeg

Art by Dmitry Burmak​

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Obscure 80s cartoons don't have modern cultural awareness.
WotC doesn't have a lot of better choices.

Since Stormwreck Isle, they've been trying to get these characters back out there again, although in (IMO) kind of a strange fashion. I wouldn't be surprised if they had counted on animation studios being eager to do a She-Ra style reboot and no one bit, so now they're just randomly inserting them into books like Waldo and hoping that generates buzz.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
WotC doesn't have a lot of better choices.

Since Stormwreck Isle, they've been trying to get these characters back out there again, although in (IMO) kind of a strange fashion. I wouldn't be surprised if they had counted on animation studios being eager to do a She-Ra style reboot and no one bit, so now they're just randomly inserting them into books like Waldo and hoping that generates buzz.
I always figured it's just a mix of new stuff and nostalgia stuff in a 'broad tent' kind of thing. Get the young folks and the old ones.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Y'all must have watched the Cartoon more recently than I have, because I was a huge fan back when it came out - but I don't remember a single thing beyond the Dungeon Master is a weird little yoda-dude and Tiamat is at the end of a roller coaster.
I rewatched the entire thing after a learned on a thread here in ENWorld a few years ago that a fan created the final episode from the script and by recutting art from the other episodes. I was surprisingly well done. I can't say that this is a cartoon I would get into now if it were new, but the nostalgia it and closure was nice and helped me up my game in recognizing memes and easter eggs in forum discussions.

I would like a reimagined version of the cartoon, but am a bit torn. It would be nice to have have a D&D cartoon actually make for young children and not just old grognards. We had our time in the 80s, let kids today have theirs. I can enjoy the next season of Vox Machina on Amazon. Let any new D&D cartoon be for kids.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
Obscure 80s cartoons don't have modern cultural awareness. That's a nostalgia call, but it's not a set of new iconics.

Well, I don't know that it's not. Maybe it is.
Considering they're putting in modern takes on Raistlin, the action figures, the cartoon, the spell creators, and new art for each class it's unlikely that anything will be iconic.

There's going to be too much art

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads